Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need advice on stain

Hey guys. Just picked up a new table from my local BGE dealer today. It is similar to the BGE brand table except it is made of unfinished pressure treated pine. I know...not my first choice of wood type, but for $150 I couldn't resist. I finished sanding starting with a 60 grit sandpaper followed up with a 200 grit. Would do you guys suggest to use for a good exterior stain/finish on this PT pine?? Thanks!

Comments

• Badong
    Badong Posts: 126
    I was told you have to let PT Pine age and turn a little gray before it will take stain and sealant.  Not sure if it is true . . .
  • Pressure treated should be allowed to dry out for 6 months andy up to a year before staining. Once it is dried out, use Sikkens SRD. It is the best stain I've ever used. I stain and build decks as a side business and this is all I will use to stain them now. You can find local retailers on the Sikkens web site. Usually only the small independent paint stores carry it.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Well, my local BGE dealer is actually a lumber supplier and the materials came from him. He said that after about a week or two it's ok to stain because it is kiln-dried PT Yellawood. Thanks again for the help!
  • probe1957
    probe1957 Posts: 222
    Well, my local BGE dealer is actually a lumber supplier and the materials came from him. He said that after about a week or two it's ok to stain because it is kiln-dried PT Yellawood. Thanks again for the help!
    IMHO, your dealer is wrong.  I don't think your PTL will accept a stain for several months.  Nevertheless, all you have to do to see is sprinkle some water on it.  If it beads up it won't take a stain.  If it soaks in quickly it should be okay to stain.  In my experience with PTL, it will be 6 months to a year for it to dry out to the point it can be stained.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Check the yella website...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    You can put a stain or finish on it immediately.  No waiting required. 

If it wasn't kiln dried, it would be a different story.  PT wood is usually sopping wet.

Here's a blurb about finishing kiln dried PT from Yella Wood.  It says it can be finished immediately, no waiting.

http://www.greatsouthernwood.com/products/yellawoodselect
    I have built a lot of decks out of treated wood and put a water sealer with stain in it within a week or two with excellent results. I like to use Olympic. Buy a three or five year sealer and put it on every other year and it will last a long long time.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Kilns dried wood is a different animal than regular PT. If it's kilns dried, then stain right away. I still recommend the Sikkens. It is a true one coat finish. One of the few left that are still a true oil base.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • henapple
    If you'll set a mangrate on it you won't need stain....the grease will roll off.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,428
    I've ruined more projects over 40 years by staining pine.  It can be done with conditioners but usually ends up splotchy and uneven; I'd highly recommend a clear finish/sealer only.  
    Interesting factoid:  when you stain pine, the lighter part of the grain absorbs more stain, and ends up darker; the grain almost becomes a "negative".  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Wow. This is great info guys! And thanks for the confirmation on the my PT. Yellawood, as I've been told, is one of the few PT's that you can stain and seal within the first week. I'll keep you updated on my results. Thanks again!
  • I know it's been a while, but I'm finally finished with my table. I ended up going with Olympic semi-transparent exterior stain. Couldn't be more pleased with the application, and it only needed one coat! Laid ceramic tile on top surface.
  • Oops. Here it is.
  • henapple
    nice...
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Nice looking table.
    Mark Annville, PA