Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

A-MAZE-N-Smoker

Mickey mentioned this in a bacon thread recently. How do you guys set it up in the Egg? Do you need to clear out the charcoal? How far open do you keep the vent and DW? 
Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia

Comments

• Take all the charcoal out, clean all the ash below it. Bottom vent completely open, DW off.
  • billyraybillyray Posts: 1,113
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini
  • BigWaderBigWader Posts: 482

I just used mine for first time this weekend.  It is the 5x9" version (fits just right on top of high que grate.  In any case - the box says up to 8 hours of smoke but I probably only got 6.5 hrs (put it on at 1:30am Saturday morning and looked at it at 8:00 and I pulled the bacon but estimated only another 30 min of smoke. 

I was using Mulberry pellets and lit the end with a MAP torch.  Had a good (but maybe too good) coal bed that was smoking. 

Is it possible to have too much smoke off this thing?

Large BGE

• FockerFocker Posts: 1,421
    edited January 2013
    BigWader said:

I just used mine for first time this weekend.  It is the 5x9" version (fits just right on top of high que grate.  In any case - the box says up to 8 hours of smoke but I probably only got 6.5 hrs (put it on at 1:30am Saturday morning and looked at it at 8:00 and I pulled the bacon but estimated only another 30 min of smoke. 

I was using Mulberry pellets and lit the end with a MAP torch.  Had a good (but maybe too good) coal bed that was smoking. 

Is it possible to have too much smoke off this thing?

By watching videos and seeing pics of it in action....yes it can.

Letting the bacon rest in the fridge will help mellow things out. 

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "The most important ingredient in cooking is restraint."--Chris Bianco

• MikeP624MikeP624 Posts: 292
    I set mine on a small grid that was sitting on my spider.  Left the bottom vent wide open and the DW was opened about half way.  I did remove all the left over lump, but did not remove all the ash.  I had good smoke for about 6hrs.  I used the 5x8 model with apple wood saw dust.