Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A-MAZE-N-Smoker

Options
jlsm
jlsm Posts: 1,011
Mickey mentioned this in a bacon thread recently. How do you guys set it up in the Egg? Do you need to clear out the charcoal? How far open do you keep the vent and DW? 
Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia

Comments

• fletcherfam
    Options
    Take all the charcoal out, clean all the ash below it. Bottom vent completely open, DW off.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Options

I just used mine for first time this weekend.  It is the 5x9" version (fits just right on top of high que grate.  In any case - the box says up to 8 hours of smoke but I probably only got 6.5 hrs (put it on at 1:30am Saturday morning and looked at it at 8:00 and I pulled the bacon but estimated only another 30 min of smoke. 

I was using Mulberry pellets and lit the end with a MAP torch.  Had a good (but maybe too good) coal bed that was smoking. 

Is it possible to have too much smoke off this thing?

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited January 2013
    Options
    BigWader said:

I just used mine for first time this weekend.  It is the 5x9" version (fits just right on top of high que grate.  In any case - the box says up to 8 hours of smoke but I probably only got 6.5 hrs (put it on at 1:30am Saturday morning and looked at it at 8:00 and I pulled the bacon but estimated only another 30 min of smoke. 

I was using Mulberry pellets and lit the end with a MAP torch.  Had a good (but maybe too good) coal bed that was smoking. 

Is it possible to have too much smoke off this thing?

By watching videos and seeing pics of it in action....yes it can.

Letting the bacon rest in the fridge will help mellow things out. 

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292
    Options
    I set mine on a small grid that was sitting on my spider.  Left the bottom vent wide open and the DW was opened about half way.  I did remove all the left over lump, but did not remove all the ash.  I had good smoke for about 6hrs.  I used the 5x8 model with apple wood saw dust.