Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooks for the Super Bowl?

SouthernSmoke
SouthernSmoke Posts: 43
edited January 2013 in EggHead Forum
What is everyone planning on cooking for the Super Bowl in a few weeks?  Would love to hear about it!!!!
Hunter - LBGE
Oxford, MS

Comments

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    TFJ'S tamales.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    I've got a dip that I call Super Bowl Dip.  Make it every Super Bowl and maybe a couple of times during the year.
  • DaveM
    DaveM Posts: 100
    I've got so much smoked pork butt in the freezer that I may just enjoy some really good left-overs without the fuss. My egg and I are in a "time out" until I use some of it up! Go Patriots!
    --Dave from Leesburg, VA BGE XL, Viking 42", Firepit with $16 grill
  • Grambler
    Grambler Posts: 153
    edited January 2013
    Once I know who is in it I will decide. We always do our Super Bowl meals based on the foods of the cities in the game.
  • I was thinking about Kristi's Sticky Chicken Wings and a Tri-Tip.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    How about grilling up some Falcon?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • @GrannyX4 I freaking love tamales and have seen that recipe, they look great!!  I used to make tamales for a restaurant in my hometown.  We sat them straight in a pot and added water about halfway up the tamale. We seasoned the water with cayenne pepper, paprika and garlic powder.  so good.

Hunter - LBGE
    Oxford, MS
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Southern smoke - they are good. I made them last year. Yummy!
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I am going to do another Packer Brisket. I did this one last year and followed Bubba Tims recipe it turned out great. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Grambler said:
    Once I know who is in it I will decide. We always do our Super Bowl meals based on the foods of the cities in the game.
    This is an awesome idea. Too bad Houston crapped the bed. Coulda had brisket.

Let's go Bawlmer, I want some crab cakes!

• JRWhitee
    Grambler said:
    This is an awesome idea. Too bad Houston crapped the bed. Coulda had brisket.

Let's go Bawlmer, I want some crab cakes!

I'll do a Brisket anyway.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Eggcelsior
    I probably will to. I did pulled pork last year.
  • JRWhitee
    I did 2 this weekend, put them on at 10:00pm pulled them at 8:00 am, 260 indirect. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Eggcelsior
    Did you rub those?
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    chili is the traditional dish in my household.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • JRWhitee
    Yes, Fat Boys Cow Girl Ridem Rub. I initially bought it because I like the name but now it is my favorite on baby backs and boston butts, the butts were from Costco. They were very moist and melted in your mouth. Some of my best work yet...lol

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    "Fat Boys Cow Girl Ridem Rub" ?  Meow!
    JRWhitee said:

I am going to do another Packer Brisket. I did this one last year and followed Bubba Tims recipe it turned out great. 

That seems like a ton of work!

I'm in the set it and forget it camp. Have you had a mopped and un-mopped brisket off your egg? If so, how big of a difference does mopping make?

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • JRWhitee
    I only mopped it for the first couple hours as I did it over night so it was out there by itself for a while so I am not really sure how much of a difference it would make. Mine turned out great though.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • @JRWhitee That looks awesome.  I still have not mustered up enough confidence to do a brisket, especially a packer.  I've seen many horror stories on this site that made me nervous

I am thinking about doing pork three ways. 
    First, I am going to try this bacon recipe I saw on here (or somewhere).  The recipe says to smear red and green chili pepper jam on both sides of the bacon and then cook it and served it as a snack.  Second, I am thinking about smoking a boston butt for pulled pork.  Lastly, I am making bacon cinnamon rolls I saw on the Necessary Indulgences website.

Some of my friends are going to do wings and some side dishes.  We will be eating like kings...and queens!
    Hunter - LBGE
    Oxford, MS
  • I may do Texas Crab Cakes (from the Homesick Texan).  They have chipotle, cilantro, corn, cumin, and cayenne in them.  yum !

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• JRWhitee
    @JRWhitee That looks awesome.  I still have not mustered up enough confidence to do a brisket, especially a packer.  I've seen many horror stories on this site that made me nervous

I am thinking about doing pork three ways. 
    First, I am going to try this bacon recipe I saw on here (or somewhere).  The recipe says to smear red and green chili pepper jam on both sides of the bacon and then cook it and served it as a snack.  Second, I am thinking about smoking a boston butt for pulled pork.  Lastly, I am making bacon cinnamon rolls I saw on the Necessary Indulgences website.

Some of my friends are going to do wings and some side dishes.  We will be eating like kings...and queens!
    It took me 3 briskets to finally nail it, first one was shoe leather right after I got my egg and had no idea what I was doing. This was prior to finding the a forum. After that I got ideas but the real key imo is taking it off when it is tender not some predetermined temperature somewhere between 190-200 for mine. I thought the packer was easier than the flat.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    My wife has been wanting my shrimp burgers so I will make those unless we have company. Not going to all that effort for free loaders. :))
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Eggcelsior
    I may do Texas Crab Cakes (from the Homesick Texan).  They have chipotle, cilantro, corn, cumin, and cayenne in them.  yum !
    This is blasphemy! That's like putting beans in chili!  ;)
  • Eggcelsior said: Village Idiot said: I may do Texas Crab Cakes (from the Homesick Texan).  They have chipotle, cilantro, corn, cumin, and cayenne in them.  yum ! This is blasphemy! That's like putting beans in chili!  ;)
    =))  As the Cajuns say over yonder in Louisianne,
    Touché

Really, these are great.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Last year I did a brisket (flat) on my gasser.. this year I may do pork butt, who knows.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    might just do pretzels, some regular with salt and mustard and some with walnuts and maple syrup
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior said:
    I may do Texas Crab Cakes (from the Homesick Texan).  They have chipotle, cilantro, corn, cumin, and cayenne in them.  yum !
    This is blasphemy! That's like putting beans in chili!  ;)

=))  As the Cajuns say over yonder in Louisianne, Touché

Really, these are great.

I'm certain they are. Too much filler, though. Not enough crab. I would still enjoy them. Open mouth, open mind.