Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt Help!

Options
I'm cooking 2 8# butts for tomorrow. After 2.5 hours, internal temp is already at 98*, will they be overcooked in 8 hours when I wake up? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• lecrams
    lecrams Posts: 116
    Options
    Cooking at a grate temp of 225* and dome temp of 270*
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Every cut of meat is different.  I cook mine at 250 and they usually take me as little as 7 and as much as 10 hours.  Unless you have a maverick or some kind of system that would notify you when your butt is done, I would plan on waking up earlier than the 8 hours from now you indicated.  That's just my opinion.
    Flint, Michigan
  • lecrams
    Options
    Well damn. I have a guru, but it won't wake me. I have usually found they take 1.5-2 hours per lb. So that would be 9 hours from now to 13 hours, but that doesn't seem realistic on this one.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    They go quick to 150* or so. Then you wait and wait and wait. Leave them as they are, maybe bump the temp to 250*. If you are early then wrap in foil and put it in a warmed cooler. If you are late then bump the temp after you are through the plateau. Either way you are good,

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I cooked an 8 pound brisket in like, 5 hours yesterday.  I did a thorough egg table and outdoor cooking area cleaning today and decided to check my dome thermo - it was reading about 40F low.  Doh!  No wonder.  (I didn't bother using the DigiQ because I was just gonna make this be-otch finish by midnight one way or another).  Cook to done.
    Options
    I have cooked a 9 lb butt at 250-275 dome and it took 17 hours. It was worth the wait!
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • lecrams
    Options
    174* at 11 hours, guess I didn't need to set that alarm for 5 am. I have cooked a zillion butts, but have never really paid attention to how quick they ramp up. I know now!