Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Butt Help!

I'm cooking 2 8# butts for tomorrow. After 2.5 hours, internal temp is already at 98*, will they be overcooked in 8 hours when I wake up? Thanks in advance!
·

Comments

• lecramslecrams Posts: 106
    Cooking at a grate temp of 225* and dome temp of 270*
    ·
  • Every cut of meat is different.  I cook mine at 250 and they usually take me as little as 7 and as much as 10 hours.  Unless you have a maverick or some kind of system that would notify you when your butt is done, I would plan on waking up earlier than the 8 hours from now you indicated.  That's just my opinion.

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
    Well damn. I have a guru, but it won't wake me. I have usually found they take 1.5-2 hours per lb. So that would be 9 hours from now to 13 hours, but that doesn't seem realistic on this one.
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,352
    They go quick to 150* or so. Then you wait and wait and wait. Leave them as they are, maybe bump the temp to 250*. If you are early then wrap in foil and put it in a warmed cooler. If you are late then bump the temp after you are through the plateau. Either way you are good,

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,949
    I cooked an 8 pound brisket in like, 5 hours yesterday.  I did a thorough egg table and outdoor cooking area cleaning today and decided to check my dome thermo - it was reading about 40F low.  Doh!  No wonder.  (I didn't bother using the DigiQ because I was just gonna make this be-otch finish by midnight one way or another).  Cook to done.

·
  • tulocaytulocay Posts: 1,737
    I have cooked a 9 lb butt at 250-275 dome and it took 17 hours. It was worth the wait!
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
    ·
    174* at 11 hours, guess I didn't need to set that alarm for 5 am. I have cooked a zillion butts, but have never really paid attention to how quick they ramp up. I know now!
    ·