Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nubie's first cook on LBGE

First cooke tonite: NY Strips and roasted broccoli. Had to keep it 350 or below, but I am very impressed with the results.

Comments

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Welcome.

Why did you have to keep it 350 or below?  The sweet spot, for me, on most cooks is 400 and I do steaks hotter.  Some folks here do them a lot hotter.

If is was for the broccoli you can cook hotter but shorter, or devise an indirect rig.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    Congrats and Welcome!  
    You need to post pics, or we shall taunt you!  
    >:)

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• munch
    munch Posts: 7
    BGE says first two cooks need to be at 350 or below to cure the gasket!
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Ah, forgot that one
    :\">

Not to worry though, you won't have a gasket for long.

Actually my next day off I am scraping the final dregs of the gaskets on my Eggs off, and realigning the domes.  Haven't had a functional gasket since last February.

Again, welcome aboard, and get a camera!

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• munch
    Next cook will include pics- my bad! I think I will try a brisket. Any ideas??
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Welcome to the cult and the degree of Kool-Aid consumption is a personal choice.  Just cook whatever you fancy and when in doubt inquire here-the answers you get will likely run the gamut of choices-but all good!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • munch
    Munch is back. I am now 5 cooks into my LBGE. Tonight I prepared marinated flat iron steak with a western rub. My family is very impressed with my egg prowess even though I am still winging it!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Brisket can be a tough cook. Maybe ribs,, tenderloin, chicken....welcome
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    @munch-winging it is quite good with the BGE-cazzy, necessaryindulgence and others have tremendous wing expertise...you just gotta let winging it go :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • hoofaloos
    hoofaloos Posts: 242
    henapple said:
    Brisket can be a tough cook. Maybe ribs,, tenderloin, chicken....welcome
    Really?  I find it to be one of the easiest.  Low temp and see you later for 15 hours.  Pretty hard to mess that up, no?
    XLBGE- Napa, CA by way of ATX

• munch
    How low and how long?? I'd like to try some sort of large brisket. 
  • hoofaloos
    hoofaloos Posts: 242
    munch said:
    How low and how long?? I'd like to try some sort of large brisket. 
    I go anywhere from 225-250 depending on what kind of time you have.  Also, depending on the size of your meat (doh), I'd say maybe 1.5-2 hours per pound.  I'm doing a 14# brisket next weekend and will probably put it on about 6 or 7 the night before the game (in alaska, the game starts at 2) at about 235.  I'll check it's temp in the morning and maybe go up to 250 but it'll be done by noon at the latest but you can pull it at around 200º.  Sometimes I kick up the temp for a bit when I hit the stall to finish it out
    XLBGE- Napa, CA by way of ATX

• munch
    sweet! thanks for the advice....