Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp control for brisket

ok I have the DigiQ set up for the brisket at 225 dome temp and food temp at 190. egg started fine and maintained at 250 up and down. it keeps going higher so I shut down the damper some more and closed down the top damper but still rising. so  what is the trick here to maintain slow and low for brisket?

Comments

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Where is your probe for digiq? If you put it at the cooking grate the temp will be 25-40ish degrees hotter than your egg thermometer.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    They eyelets on top of the DW need to just barely be open, so there can be air flow and maintain the fire, but no more.

The DigiQ can be adjusted for airflow also.  You can cut the air flow into the egg with the slide that determines how much air is taken in.
  • DMOTS
    DMOTS Posts: 29
    ok thanks I did have the probe on the grate so I assume I should attach it to the dome temp gage. yes I did slide the damper on the digiq shut a little and close the top down as well. I will watch as see
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Make sure your probe is not exposed to the direct heat also. I think you would be better off with a dome of 250 which will get you a grate temp of more like 225.

Good luck
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Either works.. I put on grid, but keep it about 225ish and then bge thermometer is about 250-260. My egg holds 260 really easy, but not 250 lol. Good luck.
  • DMOTS
    well I made the adjustments and when I checked the meet temp it is already at 154 and only been cooking 2 1/2 hours. I put the temp probe on the dome connection? good or bad. 
  • If you are cooking Indirect as most do on brisket, your grid temp will run lower than your dome temp for a good part of your cook. the longer the dome is shut the closer the 2 temps get.Also if you have your probe close to your meat it can skew the reading, it also needs to be shielded from direct exposure to the lump burning below to be more accurate.
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • DMOTS
    wow thanks every one, after all the adjustments it is maintaining well. I will let y'all know tonight how it went. 
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    I would put the pit probe on the grid a couple of inches away from the meat yet not too close to the edge of your plate setter/heat deflector. I'd be more interested in the temp where the meat actually is than the temp of the dome thermo. Don't worry about the rapid rise in internal meat temp as it will plateau for a long time in the stall.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162

As long as all the temperature readings you are getting from as many thermos as you want are calibrated then you can run the cook of any combination (or one) you desire.  There are temperature gradients throughout the BGE (like your oven).  The only thermo that all BGE's have is the dome thermo.  Get comfortable with one indication and know how the BGE responds to that temperature.  It is a reference (to help guesstimate cooking times) but the real finish-line is the internal meat temp.

An opinion and we all know what those are worth.  Enjoy the journey-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Max232
    Max232 Posts: 76
    The digiQ has adaptive control algorithm, about the first hour of running it is learning your grill(how fast it heats and loses heat) it will finally settle down and lock in. Also if you have smoking wood mixed in the lump when a piece starts lighting up sometimes the temp will spike a little.

Stereo egging w/ xl and med eggs! BBQ guru

http://www.facebook.com/BeerGutsAndPorkButtsBbq

• DMOTS
    well after 8 hours at dome temp of 230 to 250 the meet temp is at 193. I did the Texas crutch to hold juices in and is doing fine. It stalled at 151 that is why I did the TX crutch temp in dome now down to 225 and staying. I am getting excited, pics to follow.
  • DMOTS
    Max232 said:
    The digiQ has adaptive control algorithm, about the first hour of running it is learning your grill(how fast it heats and loses heat) it will finally settle down and lock in. Also if you have smoking wood mixed in the lump when a piece starts lighting up sometimes the temp will spike a little.
    This I am beginning to learn. I am impressed with this way of cooking and now liking the Eggin & the Egghead and Egger. What's next ??!!
  • Max232
    Max232 Posts: 76
    Good deal, let us know how it turns out.

Stereo egging w/ xl and med eggs! BBQ guru

http://www.facebook.com/BeerGutsAndPorkButtsBbq