Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Assembly of LBGE...is there much to it?

Hi all...just wanted to know your experiences in putting together the egg.I'm getting mine soon and was a little worried about the assembly part.While I'm not the most handy person out there I feel I can handle it. I just don't want to mess it up!

I know there are videos on you-tube, I just wanted some opinions?

thanks.
Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    The instructions are pretty good. Did you get a nest? That can be a PITA. There are two plastic clips that hold the spring hinge closed. Dont take them off til you have the dome on the base. Believe I've seen a vid somewhere. I'll have a look.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    It is pretty easy and the egg comes with directions and a video of how to put it together.
  • Little Steven
    Damn is that where I saw it? No I never watched any of those. :((

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Still not sure about a nest or table set-up.I do have a old wooden work table in my garage that could easily be converted to a egg table,just need to cut a hole in it with a jigsaw. I was leaning toward using a table and table nest over some ceramic tile,so I probably won't need to tackle the nest assembly.

Thanks for the fredsmusicandbbq link. I willl check that out more than once i'm sure when i get the egg.
    :)

• Little Steven
    And you have to use a fiver for the dollar bill test. Everything is more expensive in Canada eh?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• If you put it in a table , with table nest I think it would still be a good idea to have something non- flammable (Paver) under the nest for added protection for your table.
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Yippers... the price for eggs and accessories in very high in Canada compared to our bud's south of the border:(

I'd have my egg today if could but its gonna take a few  paydays to save up the 1200.00 bucks for the large.

As for the paver under the nest I was just going to use some left over ceramic floor tiles maybe doubled up,will this be ok?

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727

I was in the same boat when I bought mine last month. I didn't want it assembled becuase i was worried I wouldn't be able to get it out of my car. The video on the BGE website was very helpful and about all you need IMO.

I leaned a dolly against the bed of my SUV and tied cargo straps to the handle and inside the cargo area of my suv. Put a piece of wood under the dolly wheels so that it wouldn't   roll. Gently eased the boxed BGE down the ramp made by the dolly. Once down, untied the straps from the cargo bed and tied the egg to the dolly ( one strap around vertically and one strap around horizontally). Rolled it to the back patio and started assembling. Maybe took 1 hr tops to assemble which included stopping to run inside watch the video again and then run back out.

If you are using the feet (either BGE ones or the $5 clay pot holders from Lowe's) make sure you get them placed before full assembly.

I placed a paver between the bottom of the egg and the wood of the cart i buil tfor it. No table nest. Have some 1/4" tiles to provide an air gap currently, but I have the feet from Lowes. Just need to figure out how to get them under the egg without breaking anything (like my back!)

I have heard that some dealers provide home assembly also. Its not at all hard to do. Hooking up my A/V equipment when we moved to our new house was FAR more challenging.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Dutch EGGhead and proud owner of a Big Green Egg Large, MiniMax and Mini
  • AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    Just assembled mine last week, they are extreamly simple. I built a nice table as well with slate slabs, table supplies cost me around 150, so i think it is well worth it. I dropped the egg in the table before assembly, cuts out probably 1/3 of the weight, still not the friendliest thing to try and drop in by yourself.
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • Little Steven
    edited January 2013
    Lots of folks have had burning from the bottom of the egg like that. You should have some spacers in there

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Yippers... the price for eggs and accessories in very high in Canada compared to our bud's south of the border:(

I'd have my egg today if could but its gonna take a few  paydays to save up the 1200.00 bucks for the large.

As for the paver under the nest I was just going to use some left over ceramic floor tiles maybe doubled up,will this be ok?
    I think that would be fine just something for some insurance for a stray ember,the air gap I believe is the real important part. Good Luck and welcome to the "neighborhood"
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO