Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you had a great Labor Day and are excited for the start of the NFL this week. If you’re not a sports fan, you can celebrate National Breakfast Month all September and National Cheese Pizza Day on September 5. We can’t wait to share some awesome fall recipes with you all! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Newbie's First Post : Week 1 on the BGE

SeeingSpotsSeeingSpots Posts: 147
edited January 2013 in EggHead Forum
I've enjoyed lurking on this board for several weeks in preparation for an early birthday present to myself, the Large BGE, which I got a week ago today. Thank you all for pointers on using the BGE, it's helped to flatten out that learning curve for me.

So, here are the results of my first week (3 cooks so far):

1. First cook (Monday).  Took some advice from a fellow egger and went with burgers, but at the last minute got greedy and threw on some chicken breasts too.  That was a mistake.  Too much to “deal with” on my first time out.  The food was all good, nothing to write home about, Although a testament to the BGE that its hard to mess things up too bad.

2. Second Cook (Tuesday).  Went indirect with a spatchcock chicken and it did not disappoint.  It was the best grilled chicken I’ve ever eaten!  Cooked it for about an hour and a half, as I wrestled with the temperature, finally stabilized at 350.  Also, I put some cut up sweet potatoes in the drip pan and let the chicken baste them for the entire cook.  Holy crap they were good.    

3. Third cook (last night).  Make your own pizza night.  I let the kids and wifey construct their own pizza and then I threw them on a stone at 650!  They took about 4 minutes to cook each.  Temp control was much better this time around, getting the hang of it a little.  Getting the pizza’s onto the stone was the hardest part (need a pizza peel next time).  BUT, the pizza was unbelievable.  The kids loved it and the wifey too. 

I’m thinking about doing something serious this weekend, but not sure what.  Ribs, shoulder, briskets, who knows?

All in all, I’m loving the BGE!!!

Flowery Branch, GA  LBGE

Comments