Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sliding Grids & Rig Extender on the Large Adjustable Rig

Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,669

Thank you to Tom @ ceramicgrillstore.com. This is the third one I have bought from Tom and still needed info as to what way to get this one. I called Tom and it was delivered today.

imageimage
Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Mickey, why does your work computer not have work pulled up? Tisk tisk.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Mickey
    Mickey, why does your work computer not have work pulled up? Tisk tisk.
    How can you ask that. I am not laying around a pool in Calf on my tax dime.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• liquidicem
    liquidicem Posts: 52
    edited January 2013
    I remember when mine was new and looked like that.
  • kbutler84
    kbutler84 Posts: 140
    edited January 2013
    I spoke with Tom this morning about an order I'm about to place.  I know I asked him already, but I want to make sure I'm getting everything I need in one order. 

R&B Combo with Oval Grid + Rig Extender with Additional Oval Grid + Spider

The R&B Combo comes with one slide guide for sliding first oval grid just above felt line.  Does the Rig Extender require an additional Slide Guide in order the the second oval to slide, or will it slide on the Rig Extender without?
  • Mickey

Mine is the Adj Rig Extender w crossvar and 16" sliding D grid (the grid slides on top of the extender).

ALso the Adj Rig R&B comes with a slider ////// So you have two things that slide  on that order.

Now: I have an additional slide guide from my other adj rig so I could have 3 sliders on one rig if i was doing something not very tall.....

Is that what you are asking?

• BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673

That's the setup I just ordered last Friday - just got confirmation it shipped yesterday and has to cross the Canadian border so probably late next week. :(

Can't wait to get it going for cold smoking Canadian bacon and doing some "health" cooks like Doc - batches of chicken/turkey so I can bag off portions for losing weight.  Should have joined the competition.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• kbutler84
    Mickey said:

Is that what you are asking?

Yeah, basically.  I was overthinking it.  I think...
  • BigWader
    @kbutler84 did you watch the rig extender you tube video where he is cooking ribs?  The second oval grid sits on top but does not slide.  The pro is the whole grid can be swapped with the lower and so rotating during a cook is easy - the con is when cooking other things like say chicken parts you might like to move the upper grid out of the way to access the lower.  I don't think you can do that with 2 oval grids.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• OziEgg
    OziEgg Posts: 48
    BW, I believe he has just changed the design so all grids slide.
  • kbutler84
    BigWader said:
    @kbutler84 did you watch the rig extender you tube video where he is cooking ribs?  The second oval grid sits on top but does not slide.  The pro is the whole grid can be swapped with the lower and so rotating during a cook is easy - the con is when cooking other things like say chicken parts you might like to move the upper grid out of the way to access the lower.  I don't think you can do that with 2 oval grids.
    You're right, I watched the video again and it hit me!  I just wanted to be sure I got everything I wanted in one order in case SWMBO doesn't like my purchase!
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited January 2013

Damnit, mickey... now i want one of these too.

Yall are killing me. I got a high gue grate and Nomex yesterday. Today and I am wanting to pull the trigger on a mini--- went and looked at them. Now i want a AR rig for my large. Sheesh. I have daycare to pay....

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Wylecyot
    Wylecyot Posts: 203
    Mickey, thanks for sharing.  I've been debating on pulling the trigger on the same set-up.  One question...in your second photo, you show a round stone?  Was that part of your purchase, and if so why?

Thanks!
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr, 36" Blackstone Griddle Blackstone Tailgater and Roccbox owner/operator from Los Angeles
  • Mickey
    Wylecyot said:
    Mickey, thanks for sharing.  I've been debating on pulling the trigger on the same set-up.  One question...in your second photo, you show a round stone?  Was that part of your purchase, and if so why?

Thanks!

Two reasons: to set on the spider for indirect or up high for pizza.

• Wylecyot
    Wylecyot Posts: 203
    Got it!  Thanks for the help!
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr, 36" Blackstone Griddle Blackstone Tailgater and Roccbox owner/operator from Los Angeles
  • What did all of this cost?
  • I am looking to get the same set up as this. Just debating about getting the spider also. I want to start doing ribs flat and not on a rib rack. So jealous of you.
  • Crispix49
    Crispix49 Posts: 191
    Do you all recommend the oval grid/stone vs the round? Seems like you can get more meat on an oval rig.
    Atlanta suburbs
    Large & Mini owner
    UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!
  • I tried to order the R&B plus Rig Extender the other day and the site said the oval stone was not available and would not let me order.  Does anybody know if this is just temporary?
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • BigWader
    my set up including "foil ring" was $252 + shipping.  My shipping is to Canada which is a stinger.  I believe shipping within the US is more reasonable.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Mickey
    I am looking to get the same set up as this. Just debating about getting the spider also. I want to start doing ribs flat and not on a rib rack. So jealous of you.

If you live in Texas and have to pay tax and freight $297. That includes the spider. Did you watch Tom's rib video?

• Mickey
    Crispix49 said:
    Do you all recommend the oval grid/stone vs the round? Seems like you can get more meat on an oval rig.

I like the oval except for the top of extender.

• Mickey
    I tried to order the R&B plus Rig Extender the other day and the site said the oval stone was not available and would not let me order.  Does anybody know if this is just temporary?

Tom told me if out of stock the computer would not order. Should not be but a day or so. Give him a call and he call tell you for sure.

• I ordered similiar set-up, sans spider, plus foil ring.  Enjoyed the first week with 2 level ribs, spatchcock chicken on sliding D rack, italian sausage on slideing D. 

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!

• Mickey
    I ordered similiar set-up, sans spider, plus foil ring.  Enjoyed the first week with 2 level ribs, spatchcock chicken on sliding D rack, italian sausage on slideing D. 

Do you already have a spider?

• kbutler84
    I ordered my R&B Combo, Rig Extender with extra Oval Grid, and Spider yesterday.  I'm out of town all next week, but can't wait to use it all!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I wish I could have some of your guys' problems with deciding what to get....

None of this cool stuff is available for my medium. Sigh. 
    :-<
  • Mickey said:
    I ordered similiar set-up, sans spider, plus foil ring.  Enjoyed the first week with 2 level ribs, spatchcock chicken on sliding D rack, italian sausage on slideing D. 

Do you already have a spider?
    don't have the spider..........yet!  I know it's useful, and only a matter of time before it makes it home.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!

• Mickey
    hartofatiger get a spider. Mine never leaves my Large and the new one will  not as well. Stick it in and forget about it.

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Mickey,  your secret is safe with me.....having all egg stuff arrive at the same time.......oops!

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Mickey said:

I am looking to get the same set up as this. Just debating about getting the spider also. I want to start doing ribs flat and not on a rib rack. So jealous of you.

If you live in Texas and have to pay tax and freight $297. That includes the spider. Did you watch Tom's rib video?

Yes I did. And he sure made cooking ribs look easy. I live in San Diego and so I'm pretty sure freight is going to cost a bit more. Thanks again Mickey