Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ready to try a brisket

Ok after a little research I am ready to try a brisket. I have heard that a salt water brine is the best with a few extras. I don't like sweet so I want to stick with salt and garlic plus a good rub Any good comments or suggestions

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    The most traditional way would be salt, pepper, and smoke. I don't know about brining it(I never have) but for rubs, avoid prepackaged or homemade rubs with sugar. Many purveyors often mentioned on the forum like dizzy pig and oak ridge sell brisket rubs. I am also sure you will hear from some Texas Eggers as well. Just don't mention beans and chili in the same sentence. ;)
  • DMOTS
    DMOTS Posts: 29
    I am to sure about brine just heard a lot about it, all I want is a great brisket.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited January 2013
    My best have been injected with demi glace or Espagniole. Canadian beef is much leaner than US and it really needs it

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• DMOTS
    DMOTS Posts: 29
    I was thinking of injecting it with a garlic butter injection
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited January 2013
    You wouldn't want to brine a brisket unless you're trying to make pastrami.
    Briskets really aren't that difficult.  First figure you which way the grain is running and slice off a corner against the grain.  Then you know how to slice it when you take it off and it looks like a black meteorite.  I cook them at a grid temp of 250 (that's about 270-280 on your dome thermo).  Rub it and don't open the lid until the internal reaches 190.  Start sticking it with your favorite probe until it seems tender (probe easily goes in and out). That's usually between 195-200. I usually end up foiling, wrapping in towels and putting it in a cooler for an hour or two until it's time for dinner.  Make sure you slice against the grain!
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    DMOTS said:
    I was thinking of injecting it with a garlic butter injection
    That would work. Maybe some beef stock in it. Choke on Smoke is bang on on the cooking part

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• DaveM
    DaveM Posts: 100
    I used Bobby Flay's method and it was perfect. I was able to get an entire 14# brisket, so I doubled the spirce rub. It was ready early, so I did FTC for about 4 hours. yum! The recipe is on the web at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/smoked-spice-rubbed-texas-style-brisket-on-texas-toast-recipe/index.html
    --Dave from Leesburg, VA BGE XL, Viking 42", Firepit with $16 grill