Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Me thinks me want a mini....

Comments

• volfan1
    volfan1 Posts: 164
    I ordered a mini for myself because my local deal was out of stock.  Does it come with the daisy wheel?
    XL & Mini & knock off medium. Western North Carolina. Formerly Franklin, TN. Formerly in Palm Harbor, FL. 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    R2, thanks for posting!! Excellent pics!!
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • volfan1 said:
    I ordered a mini for myself because my local deal was out of stock.  Does it come with the daisy wheel?
    Yes.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• volfan1
    Ok.  Thanks.  The one on display only had the ceramic cap.
    XL & Mini & knock off medium. Western North Carolina. Formerly Franklin, TN. Formerly in Palm Harbor, FL. 
  • volfan1
    Now I just need to get some MANGRATES!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    volfan1 said:
    Just as Gary said yes, but I do not find any reason to use it. Works fine without.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    so the mini doesn't start with out beer either? funny I thought that was only a problem with the large
    I have the feeling that many of us pretend the egg is the DMC-12

• so the mini doesn't start with out beer either? funny I thought that was only a problem with the large
    I have the feeling that many of us pretend the egg is the DMC-12

I am not sure what the neighbors find more awkward when I cook breakfast on the BGE, the beer in the morning or the tighty whiteys 

Barbecue may not be what brings world peace, but it has to be a good place to start -Anthony Bourdain 
  • Mickey
    duck_hunter just the thought of the tighty whiteys in the morning =))
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• @R2Egg2Q - What's your set-up for your 2 tiered mini?
    Flint, Michigan
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    What price you seeing in your area for the mini?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • What baking stone do you use with the mini?  I just looked up "8 1/2 pizza stone" on amazon and the ones I found got bad reviews.....said they caught on fire if around a flame.  That won't do on the mini!
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    @R2Egg2Q - What's your set-up for your 2 tiered mini?

My mini came with a 9 1/2" SS grid that I used with 2 1/2" SS machine screws & SS washers/nuts for the upper tier. It barely fits and needs to sit perfectly on the 10" grid for the lid to close right. I think an ideal size would be 8 1/2-9" diameter.
    Chubbs said:
    What price you seeing in your area for the mini?

I think $399 in my area of CA.
    What baking stone do you use with the mini?  I just looked up "8 1/2 pizza stone" on amazon and the ones I found got bad reviews.....said they caught on fire if around a flame.  That won't do on the mini!

I wouldn't take that 1 review as being accurate. Even that reviewer says "Or perhaps there was some residue of absorbed fat in the porous stone...". Those old stone brand 8 1/2" stones are the standard stones used by a bunch of EggHeads. I've used mine on my mini and other cookers many times with no issues.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Mickey said:
    True. I envisioned this:

The shitter was full, eh?
    Flint, Michigan
  • Mickey said:
    True. I envisioned this:

that is what I was thinking of when I wrote it too :)

Barbecue may not be what brings world peace, but it has to be a good place to start -Anthony Bourdain 
  • Awesome pics! I'm very glad I added the mini. Liked your double decker and was surprised to see the beer can chicken fit. This is great"
    Minneapolis / St. Paul. Large & Mini
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Awesome pics! I'm very glad I added the mini. Liked your double decker and was surprised to see the beer can chicken fit. This is great"

It was actually a V8 can game hen while I drank a beer. :)Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Eggcelsior
    Don't you mean Griswold hen?

Merry Christmas!
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    (Large + Small) / 2 = Medium.  Based on today's discussion, I am no longer second guessing my choice of a medium.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    What baking stone do you use with the mini?  I just looked up "8 1/2 pizza stone" on amazon and the ones I found got bad reviews.....said they caught on fire if around a flame.  That won't do on the mini!

Those are the ones I use. Haven't had a problem yet.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Mickey
    Sorry, but there is NOTHING to catch on fire on that stone unless you drop something on it. Have used for years.

• Well....I ordered a couple of them.  If anyone can ignite them I can.
  • Eggcelsior
    Well....I ordered a couple of them.  If anyone can ignite them I can.
    If you do, take pics. I have to see that.
  • Stoater
    Stoater Posts: 292
    You can cook small meals on them.

Hi VI

Did you make that bacon jam, I did a few scallops last night and thought about how nice they would have been with some of that stuff on the top, if so do you have a recipe link?
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited January 2013
    Hey Stoater,

No, it's Better Than Good Bacon Jam, and I get it from our H.E.B. grocery store, which is in most parts of Texas.  If you're not from around here, I found a link where you can order it.  It's mighty good, and I use it for other things, like a glaze on pork chops.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Stoater
    Stoater Posts: 292
    Thanks Vl, I'm in Canada Eh! Looks like they are temporarily out of stock, guess I will have to try making some, I remember eating something similar in the angel inn in niagara on the lake scallops wrapped in prosciutto with bacon jam on top, the slavers are trippin me!
  • R2Egg2Q said:
    @R2Egg2Q - What's your set-up for your 2 tiered mini?

My mini came with a 9 1/2" SS grid that I used with 2 1/2" SS machine screws & SS washers/nuts for the upper tier. It barely fits and needs to sit perfectly on the 10" grid for the lid to close right. I think an ideal size would be 8 1/2-9" diameter.  

OK.  I've been looking at Weber's & other grids, but can't find a 9".  Anybody know where I can find one?  I would prefer SS. 
    Flint, Michigan
  • Eggcelsior
    Maybe use a High Question fire grate for the large egg. It's the only 9 inch grid I could find on the interwebs.

• Holy Moly!  I didn't think of using a High Que grate.  The grid is a little pricey, but it would do the trick!  Thanks!
    Flint, Michigan