Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ace Hardware Online - crap

I ordered a bag of WGWW using the 50% off one item special that Ace Harware was running the Saturday after T-giving. 

Being a nice guy I also ordered a 2nd bag at full price so they might make a buck or break even.

Ace shipped the full price bag and hosed me on the 1/2 price bag. 

Out of priniciple I spoke with their call center folks 3 times trying to get that 2nd bag shipped, receiving a different excuse each time. "The half price one wasn't in stock at the whse", "It's currently in transit to your store"  etc etc. 

Anyone else have a similar experience with them or did I win the craptacular service lotto? 

Comments

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Go into your local Ace Hardware and explain to the manager what happened. If they don't stock the WGWW, they can order it out of warehouse. In our stores I would sell you a bag at 1/2 price, my cost is $13 plus. Retail is between $19.99 and $20.99, so you'd pay $10 or so. I'd lose $3, but probably have a customer for life. Feel free to use my example with the manager.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Can you return it? Would you have to pay shipping? If you are cheesed off enough, escalate it to the next tier of customer service. You tried to be an upstanding citizen and they play games with you.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • MikeG
    MikeG Posts: 174

Called again today trying to get them to honor the coupon.  What a hassle over $10 but like I say, it's a matter of principle now.

Asked for a supervisor and was told none was available but promised I'd receive a call from one. 

I'm not going to bother the local store with this as it's not their problem and I don't want to do more 'splaining over $10.  Now that I think of it, I bought $57 worth of Christmas lights while I was in there picking up the WGWW. 

Of this missing bag, they said they had nothing to do with online orders.  That's reasonable, but not a level of service that will make me forgo Home Depot, and Ace is much closer.

• This exact same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. I used a half off one item coupon and added a few more bags - ordered online for in store pickup. When I got there the full price bags were there but the half off was not. Went round and round with the woman working that night who had me call their inventory woman the next day who then pawned me off on their online services. I weighed the time and effort to save a couple bucks and gave up. I'll shop at Ace but I'm done ordering online.
  • good info...I was considering ordering some....but NOT now! lost business for ACE
    Brandon, MS
  • Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Sorry to here about your troubles ordering from ACE online. I placed my order just after midnight on that Saturday with no problems. While driving 12 hours home that night around 1145 I decided to see if I could place another order online using the discount code and my rewards number. The system accepted my order. I waited for the next few days and it was billed to my card. I figured I would get an email stating that one of the orders was going to be canx. But that never happened and I got two bags for $23.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    MikeG said:

Called again today trying to get them to honor the coupon.  What a hassle over $10 but like I say, it's a matter of principle now.

Asked for a supervisor and was told none was available but promised I'd receive a call from one. 

I'm not going to bother the local store with this as it's not their problem and I don't want to do more 'splaining over $10.  Now that I think of it, I bought $57 worth of Christmas lights while I was in there picking up the WGWW. 

Of this missing bag, they said they had nothing to do with online orders.  That's reasonable, but not a level of service that will make me forgo Home Depot, and Ace is much closer.

I call BS. If there wasn't a supervisor, how are they open? Who feeds the monkeys while they type Hamlet?!
  • MikeG

Yeah, voice sounded like the call center was located in India or Jamaica.    I think whomever Ace contracts with to field these calls practices "evasive problem resolution"

I call BS. If there wasn't a supervisor, how are they open? Who feeds the monkeys while they type Hamlet?!

• Eggcelsior
    Yeah, it's funny how you try to escalate to a higher authority and they suddenly can't speak English.

"But I thought you said your name was Bill?"
  • Yeah, it's funny how you try to escalate to a higher authority and they suddenly can't speak English.

"But I thought you said your name was Bill?"

Dude I was on the phone with Apple the other day, pristine customer service even got free stuff, but the point is guy said his name was Daniel. So we had our whole convo and he set up my computer to ship and I asked for his name to keep it incase I had another problem. He said Daniel. And I asked for his last name as I was sure Daniel might not be the only Daniel. Ya know what he said??? "We'll my name is raduk simba ala mahomada, the company gave me Daniel so customers could relate and remember!!!

XLBGE 
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    edited January 2013
    I was interested to read this thread. I have a new Ace about a mile and a half from my house and I'd been thinking of trying to buy WGWW from them. They don't stock it, so it would have to be ordered and shipped to the store.

After reading this thread, I've decided I'm not going to reward bad behavior. They should know that they're not just losing your business, they are losing business from other folks too. There are plenty of places around here that stock WGWW year-round. Most of them are at least 10 miles away from me, which is why was thinking of giving Ace a try. Sometimes the best price isn't the best price. There is something to be said for rewarding local businesses that provide good service.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • MikeG

I'd like to finish my participation in this thread by noting that I think all the ACE brick and mortar franchisees I've ever met have been friendly and helpful folks and don't deserve to be painted with the same brush as Ace ONLINE.

It can't be easy running a small hardware store in the black - it's got to be a bit distressing for the local operators to have to deal with Ace Corporate policies and I think they deserve to be treated on their own merits.

• Eggcelsior
    MikeG said:

I'd like to finish my participation in this thread by noting that I think all the ACE brick and mortar franchisees I've ever met have been friendly and helpful folks and don't deserve to be painted with the same brush as Ace ONLINE.

It can't be easy running a small hardware store in the black - it's got to be a bit distressing for the local operators to have to deal with Ace Corporate policies and I think they deserve to be treated on their own merits.

Isn't corporatizing small business wonderful! I agree with you on that point. It's sad that the corporate behavior can and will reflect on the local purveyor, even though they have nothing to do with it.
  • I have been ordering WGWW through my local ACE for several months now without a problem.  The service I get is excellent. 
  • I have been ordering WGWW through my local ACE for several months now without a problem.  The service I get is excellent. 

I've never ordered from ace but am planning on trying it. I'm about out of my RO winter stash and have an ACE about 20 min from my in-laws. I'm give it a try.

XLBGE 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929

My Ace only carries Cowboy. BS 

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    edited January 2013
    Chubbs said:

Ask them to special order SKU #8322786 from their Distribution Center for you, that's the number for WGWW. They can add your special order to their weekly orders. Retail should be $19.99 to $21.99 for the 22 lb. bag.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    billyray said:
    Chubbs said:

Ask them to special order SKU #8322786 from their Distribution Center for you, that's the number for WGWW. They can add your special order to their weekly orders. Retail should be $19.99 to $21.99 for the 22 lb. bag.
    Thanks, I will give that a try.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013