Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fire screen

So there have been some recent discussions about fire and stuff and such.

I'm on a cement patio and really have never thought about my egg burning my house or anything down.

I have never used the little screen on the bottom vent. For a pizza I just open everything up. For low and slow its a 1/4 inch crack or less. 400 and I have about inch and half or less.

So who uses the little screen? Am I being a re re? I just put my egg in a table so maybe I should change my practices. When I shut it down I just walk away. I check on it before I go to bed just to see if its cool enough to cover.

Aside from fire risk, how much does the screen change your temp settings?

XLBGE 

Comments

• double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Not sure how it effects temp setting as I always use the screen, you want to keep the tracks clean and all lubed up so it moves smoothly though.
    Lynnwood WA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    if im there cooking i dont worry about the screen, low and slows where i tend not to be there i use the screen. there is always risk with fire, natureboys egg was out in the driveway when an ember blew out and landed in the garage and lit the place up, anything can happen with fire
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • double said:

Not sure how it effects temp setting as I always use the screen, you want to keep the tracks clean and all lubed up so it moves smoothly though.

I keep it clean, and lubes no problem. But let's stay on topic here :-B

XLBGE 
  • I Egg in my driveway just outside my garage. I always use the screen because if I didn't & there's a fire, I would kick myself or Wilma would do it for me.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Have always used the screen ,don't really know how it effects temp.I would think it would be very minimal.
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • Ellis
    Ellis Posts: 195
    I use the screen all the time, 8 mo. out of the year I'm in flip flops. I have a concrete patio but keep a fire exstinguisher near just for my feet. 8-|
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Another vote for using the screen-no sense inviting the stray ember fire disaster.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    My eggs are on a deck, so I always use the screen once the fire gets going.  I think it is a good idea even if you are on a patio/driveway.  As mentioned- those embers can shoot out. I think the screen does impede the airflow a little but it is easy enough to account for.  Just open the door a little more than you would with no screen and dial it in with the dfmt. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Guess I should change my practice. Prolly why BGE put the screen on there to begin with.

Thanks

XLBGE 
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    I always use the screen, and for most cooks the solid door is also partially closed.  I've done several all-around-the-dial burn-offs with the screen closed, so I don't see it as a hinderance to temp.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Another one for using the screen, and I have very little chance of burning anything except my feet.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929

Man, you have me thinking now too. I egg on a porch and have NEVER used the screen. I guess "safer" egging will be a resolution of mine.

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Chubbs said:

Man, you have me thinking now too. I egg on a porch and have NEVER used the screen. I guess "safer" egging will be a resolution of mine.

Yea bud. I'm try to start doing it as well

XLBGE 
  • joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    I have noticed most often with a fresh load of lump where I have had sparks attempt to shoot out through the bottom vent screen.  So I have always used the screen.  I Egg on a concrete patio, so the risk is low, and its easy enough to use and doesn't hinder the Egg's performance.
  • Eggucated
    Eggucated Posts: 213
    Honestly, I have never thought of not using the screen. I just assumed it was there to use so I do.
    Thanks, Mike "Live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you, no one will believe it."
  • Interesting i read this thread this afternoon and had a BGE "first" this evening..

My ex-roommate is a BGE dealer and i got large last may. He said dont worry about the screen, and i have never used it. I agreed, seemed lame. Then tonight i was heating some older lump, with some new scattered on the top for a ribeye cook. Planning to lock in at 350-375.

Got the thing cranking and started closing up the daisy wheel to stabilize. temp was climbing fast. had bottom door at 3/4 open, DW about half open and closing more. (flames still on inside). when all of a sudden i heard a 'poof' and the airflow reversed and flames shot out the bottom door 3 feet along with some ash. (luckily i had cleaned it out before cook). .

After the flame burst, it immediately corrected the airflow back to normal, but not after scaring the crap out of me. After that i could see flames coming down through the firebox and floating all around in there like backdraft movie. Very freaking and a little scary. Never saw flames in the bottom before. Glad no one was standing in front of it. I will use the screen for now on. Flames still would have shot out, but not the burning embers.

All I could think about was reading this thread today. Oh.. and the Ribeye was excellent!
    Woodstock, GA