Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mustard based BBQ sauce recipe?

I Googled and found a ton, but I'm interested in what recipes y'all have used.  I enjoyed the mustard sauce at Salt Lick and I use Tobago Keys Peruvian Gold Grilling Sauce a lot, but I'd like to make my own. 

Thanks!
I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.

Comments

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    edited January 2013

I use this one with every pork butt and people are always asking for the recipe. From Big Bob Gibson.

Ingredients

• 3/4 cup prepared yellow mustard
    • 1/2 cup honey
    • 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
    • 2 tablespoons ketchup
    • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
    • 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
    • 1 teaspoon hot sauce

Directions

In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients and mix well. Make at least 24 hours prior to usage for best flavor. Store refrigerated in a tightly covered jar for up to 2 weeks.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275

Here's another I'll be making this weekend.

Ingredients

• •1 cup prepared yellow mustard
    • •1/2 cup sugar
    • •1/4 cup light brown sugar
    • •3/4 cup cider vinegar
    • •1/4 cup water
    • •2 tablespoons chili powder
    • •1 teaspoon black pepper
    • •1 teaspoon white pepper
    • •1/4 teaspoon cayenne
    • •1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
    • •2 tablespoons butter
    • •1 tablespoon liquid smoke (hickory flavoring)

Directions

Mix all except soy, butter and smoke. Simmer 30 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients and simmer for 10 more minutes.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I don't think the Salt Lick's BBQ sauce is a "true" mustard based bbq sauce. It has mustard in it, but its not like the ones from the Carolinas and definitely not like the one @Dyal_SC send me awhile back. Its supposed to have some influence from somebody's Hawaiian background and I believe has habanero in it.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    I pretty much use the Big Bob Gibson sauce as well but i go to sriracha for hot sauce.
  • BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    edited January 2013
    Kristi, This is one from the Smoke Ring forum and is hugely popular there. I have made it numerous times and love it.

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1359

Hope you like it.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • Thanks, y'all!  These all sound like what I'm looking for. :)
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited January 2013

Kristi, being from SC, I have had plenty of mustard based sauce. I make my own, but it is basically like Billy Rays above. Basically a pepper/vinegar based style with mustard added.

Nice little hybrid approach. If I go to a BBQ place, I usually get mustard based and mix with vinegar so my sauce is my on take on that. Would give you the exact recipe, but I dont measure anything... ever.

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Thanks, @Chubbs!   I don't measure either and I'm really bad at following directions.  That's why I don't bake and why I don't have conventional recipes on my blog.  Nothing is ever the same way twice.  :D I like the taste & add method!
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Cracker Barrell has Bone Suckin' Mustard that works great on things like smoked fish!
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    This is a link for the mustard sauce @Dyal_SC sent to @Griffin and myself: Shealy's BBQ Sauce (http://www.shealysbbq.com/page.php?pageid=4)

I am a mustard-based life-form and I made some SC style ribs with mustard sauce that were truly excellent.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Thanks, @Chubbs!   I don't measure either and I'm really bad at following directions.  That's why I don't bake and why I don't have conventional recipes on my blog.  Nothing is ever the same way twice.  :D I like the taste & add method!

I feel your pain. I end up with it tasting good 90% of the time. I made one last week with sweet with heat mustard, whole seed dijon, honey, sage, thyme, rosemary and some wine vinegar last week and it was very good.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I have used this recipe a few times. Not perfect but I get good reviews.

http://southern.food.com/recipe/big-daddys-carolina-style-barbecue-sauce-120492 

This is from food.com

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    This is my favorite mustard recipe adapted from my favorite BBQ place in SC. I haven't ever tried omitting the liquid smoke and just doing it on the egg, but I should next time. You may want to try half the vinegar and add it at the end if you want more, but I like it tangy.

Ingredients
    1 cup yellow mustard
    ½ cup sugar
    ¼ cup light brown sugar
    ½ cup cider vinegar
    ¼ cup water
    2 tablespoons chili powder
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    1 teaspoon white pepper
    ¼ teaspoon cayenne
    ½ teaspoon soy sauce
    2 tablespoons butter
    1 tablespoon liquid smoke

Directions
    Mix all ingredients except soy, butter and smoke. 
    Simmer on low for 30 minutes.
    Stir in remaining ingredients and simmer for 10 more minutes, adding more vinegar if necessary

Dunedin, FL
  • jfm0830-- thank you for the link to Shealy's.  I'd like to try it!

I'm  gonna use all of the recipes above as a guide and make something up. Thanks everyone for the input!
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Shealy's is close to me. That place is unreal. Really good food so cannot go wrong with their sauce.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • bccomstock
    bccomstock Posts: 338
    edited January 2013
    I just made a mustard sauce.. Initial tasting is very good IMO, but my wife couldn't stand the smell.. Of course, she hates mustard with a passion, so this is all mine.  Just gotta wait for my ribs to come off the egg.. :D

1/2 c yellow mustard
    1/2 c horseradish mustard
    1/2 c Abita DoubleDog (vanilla flavored)
    1/4 c apple cider vinegar
    1/4 c honey
    2 Tblsp brown sugar
    1 tsp black pepper
    1 tsp garlic powder
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023

Wish I would have seen this post sooner!  I grew up on Mustard-Based Sauce....didn't know it wasn't a national thing until later in life.  Shealy's is my favorite mustard-based sauce.  We have a stockpile of it in our cabinet.  ;)   My wife works next door to the restaurant, plus they sell it in all the grocery stores around me.  Kristi, if you want a bottle of it, lemme know and I'll be more than happy to send some to you!  :)  I also make it from scratch every now and then.  This should get you started, and you can always ad lib as you go.

1 cup Yellow Mustard

1/2 cup Brown Sugar

1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar

S&P to taste

About 1 or 2 tablespoons Molasses

About 3 or 4 tablespoons Honey

• Thank you!
  • I made both Dyal's and yzzi's (which i also found online called Big Daddy's carolina style on about.com).  Greatly preferred the latter although both were good.  The first one was a bit more mustardy
    XLBGE- Napa, CA by way of ATX

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Yeah I couldn't remember where I found that. I've modified it a bit. Been skipping white sugar and doing 3/4 cups of brown. 1/4 cup vinegar and 1/2 cup water. Found that to be close to what I am used to from my time in SC.
    Dunedin, FL
  • sounds good...i'll give that a try

XLBGE- Napa, CA by way of ATX

• TFols
    TFols Posts: 241
    edited February 2013

This is one from the Smoke Ring forum and is hugely popular there. I have made it numerous times and love it.

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1359

Hope you like it.

@BuckeyeBob thanks for this suggestion. Made it yesterday for my nephews bday to serve with some pulled pork and it was a big hit. I will definitely be making this again.
    Bloomfield, NJ
  • Key to any mustard based is equal parts ketchup and yellow mustard...go from there.  A little maple syrup or honey is a good addition
  • I use Roxy's Mustard Sauce recipe from the Smoke Ring combined with some of the components of Chris Lilly's Big Bob Gibson Carolina Mustard Sauce. Mainly it is Roxy's minus the onion and garlic (I use onion and garlic powder) with more mustard and the addition of honey. Rave reviews everywhere I take it.
    LBGE Knoxville, TN
  • A few years ago we made several versions side by side and taste tested them all against each other.  This is the one we ended up liking the best.  It has apple pie moonshine in it for a smooth kick.  If you can't find the chipotle mustard, use a coarse grain mustard and add a little ground chipotle.

South Carolina Style Mustard BBQ Sauce

1/2 cup yellow mustard (you want a plain yellow mustard like French's)
    1/4 cup chipotle mustard (I used World Classics brand)
    1/4 cup light brown sugar
    1 cup cider vinegar
    1/4 cup apple/cinnamon flavored moonshine
    2 tsp chili powder
    1 tsp black pepper
    1 tsp white pepper
    1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
    1/2 tsp soy sauce
    1 Tbsp butter

Combine all ingredients in a small sauce pan and bring to a simmer for 10 minutes.

Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
    500 Posts: 3,177
    edited March 2013

@NecessaryIndulg I was going to share the one I found on Pinterest, but I see you already snagged it from me. 

I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Very late to the party on this one.  But have you tried my copycat version of Salt Lick's sauce?

http://forum.bigsteelkeg.com/index.php?topic=4734.0
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    A tip....add a little sweet pickle juice to your mustard sauce and it will take it up a notch.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow