Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How Do You Afford It?

Comments

• @jlsm , I understand your perspective. When I first joined this forum back in April (I Think?) I saw all these posts and felt like I had to "keep up." Then I realized I would eat our monthly budget, literally, for groceries in a matter of 2 weeks. Now what I do is I incorporate meals during the week that incorporate an egg meal (for example we did two deep dish pizzas this weekend cost = maybe $7 a pie, if that).

I have learned that I am not going to do a brisket at this point it  time because the cost and risk of not cooking the brisket right are too much for me. I did however do 10 lbs of bacon last week, but this will last my family for at least a couple of months in different meals.

Also incorporate cheaper meals to offset the cost of your higher meals. We cook a lot with lentils because they are healthy, really cheap, and taste like meat when used in things like tacos.

There is my $.02
  • tays44
    tays44 Posts: 93

Retail on beef is such a rip off.  Seriously try WalMart.  As bad is it sounds, they are buying so much Choice beef out of the market right now.  They can afford to charge a little lower prices.  I actually paid under USDA market there a few weeks back on a lip-on ribeye, was about a 5.5# piece....paid $5.95/lb for it, at the time USDA on Choice lip-ons was trading around the $6.50 range.

- EAT BEEF -
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited January 2013
    MrCookingNurse said: I'm with Travis.  Food is what fuels my body.  Would you put regular gas in a Lamborghini?
    Lol, are you comparing your body to a lambo??

Well, no.  Actually, I've let my physique slip a bit.  I'd have to say
    Mazerati right now (or is that Mazda?  I get them confused)..  

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited January 2013

Village Idiot..... Yugo =))

(Gary don't forgot I am a professional, I can spot what car you are.)

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Like Randy Moss:
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    jlsm said:
    I'm just amazed about some of the cooks. I see 2-inch porterhouses, rib roasts, tenderloins, and not just occasionally. I shop at a market with dozens of vendors, and I can get only prime there. Our grocery stores sell puny steaks. I don't have anything except a BJs close, and the last untrimmed tenderloin I checked there was $120. At Christmas, I priced a two-rib standing rib and it was $75! Tenderloin goes for $19 a pound. Skirt steak is $9, and flank is even $8. 

I'm not cheap and I'm not poor, but I just won't spend that type of money. We end up with sirloin, which I actually prefer in many ways. At $5.95 a pound for 1.25-inch steaks, we get at least two meals out of $13. I do have to say that the meat is excellent, but still. 

You guys get cheaper meat? I could join Costco and make the 40-minute trip once in a while if the store offers real value. 
    I guess there is at least one thing that is cheaper about living in California.  That's a bummer that meat is that expensive where you are.  I am cooking a Prime Rib tonight and had two beautiful ones on Christmas 6.49/lb.  Safeway has sales almost every week on some cut of meat.  Tri-tip 3.49 Bone in New Yorks 4.99-5.99 Bone in Ribeye 5.99-6.99.  Same goes with cuts of pork.  When on sale they are significantly less that Costco.
    George
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited January 2013
    Mickey said:

Village Idiot..... 

(Gary don't forgot I am a professional, .....................)

Professional English teacher ?   :))

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I scrimp, scrounge and save on whatever I can - negotiated lower rates for electricity and cell phones, disputed my property taxes to lower them, etc. but eat what I want to without paying too much mind to what it cost. I'm not extravagant, but if a cut of meat looks good and I know I can cook it well, then its going home with me. Plus, even if I splurge on something to smoke/grill its almost always more fun to make, cheaper, and tastier than eating out. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Costco meats are typically good everyday prices.  Most of the time, my menu gets planned around what is on sale.  Plenty of chicken, burgers, and similar items also get consumed here.  I made an 8lb butt and got two family dinners and a few lunch sandwiches too.  It was $12 on sale, so good deals like that help justify an occasional expensive item like lamb chops.

I never go out for steaks, so I look at the cost avoided of not going to a quality steakhouse as justification to splurge on a good Ribeye or T-Bone (on sale, of course.  ;) ).
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Why in bob's name would you want some non local IQF fish? Thats all I buy here in Central Texas but when I am back home, fresh it is. Normally caught by yours truly. 
    Don't get me wrong, I love all the local fish and I feel fortunate I can practically throw a rock and hit a fish, fishing boat or fish market full of local fish.

But I like to branch out from amberjack, redfish, puppy drum, speckled trout, flounder, tuna and cat fish now and then.  I'd rather buy good IQF than the thawed out IQF sitting under the counter for who knows how long in local stores - you know they just thaw the stuff out (that was frozen on the boat or dock) and put it in their fish displays.  I wish they'd just keep it frozen, esp from Sam's Club - you can't smell the fish they repackage in the damn plastic boats.
    not really worth it nola for seafoood...pretty much everything is sold pre portioned by the case. meat selection is great if you're looking for large whole cuts and sub primals...its not the place to go pick up a couple steaks...this place make the amounts you buy at sam's/costco look tiny.
    That's good info - we already struggle with two fridge/freezers that always seem packed.  Thanks Quinn.  Can't wait until we get our costco.
    Two things:

Some can afford more than others.
    I usually only post pics of nicer cooks.

Try a flat iron steak instead of sirloin. Plenty of cheap cooks. Pizza, stew, Boston butt, pork tenderloin, stuffed chicken thighs, ...I follow the sales and my butcher is reasonable if you buy the whole loaf.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    gte1 Safeway is generally using a select grade of beef, where Costco is mostly USDA Choice and some USDA Prime. Price between the two retailers wouldn't be apples to apples. I generally buy the whole crayovaced primals at Costco and cut up my own steaks and roast, there is a significant savings doing this instead of buying their pre cut steaks and chops.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • This may have been mentioned, but stir frying Asian dishes is cheap !!!!

Chicken, run of the mill pork, flank steak, etc.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• hogsfan
    hogsfan Posts: 128
    We shop smart and when the store runs a special, we jump on it hard. Albertson's once misprinted an add for St Louis spaces that made them less than a dollar a pound. The misprint was is was supposed to be limit 1 per customer (or something like that...I don't know they didn't print it). I took every slab they had in the store...even in the back. It was awesome! I've also managed to luck out at Tom Thumb and gotten about 70-80 pounds of strips and ribeyes of the quick sale rack for about a dollar a pound. (did that twice actually). The meat was fantastic. 

But honestly, the real "secret" is we don't eat out. There is no good reason to anymore except for convenience. Our eating out budget is something like 50 bucks a month and that is typically spent on last minute changes of plans or when we end up eating out with friends. 

I know meat is expensive but really, I can feed my family ribeyes and baked potatoes for a lot less than what we would spend at Taco Bell much less a nice restaurant. Since ribeye is probably the most expensive thing we eat "per pound" it only gets cheaper from there. Butts, chickens, briskets, and ribs, are pretty crazy cheap when you think about how far you can stretch them. 
  • jscarfo
    jscarfo Posts: 405
    Ya can't put a price on happiness weather it's good meat or good beer image
  • gte1
    billyray said:
    gte1 Safeway is generally using a select grade of beef, where Costco is mostly USDA Choice and some USDA Prime. Price between the two retailers wouldn't be apples to apples. I generally buy the whole crayovaced primals at Costco and cut up my own steaks and roast, there is a significant savings doing this instead of buying their pre cut steaks and chops.

These are for choice cuts at their sale prices. The normal prices are about 1-2 dollars a pound higher than Costco.
    George
  • billyray
    I'm assuming you are calling New Yorks and ribeyes etc. choice cuts, but not meaning that they are USDA Choice grades at Safeway.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    My wife and I quit eating out except for brunch on the weekend.  That more than makes up for what the two of us eat.  It is the neighbors and friends coming over that tend to hit the budget harder because we do prime rib, filets or bigger more expensive cuts of meat for company.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    I've eat out less than a dozen times since the egg in June. Before egg I had lunch 6 times a week and dinner 2-3 times. Now I brown bag leftovers and prep weeks meals on Sundays torme and the wife. I buy a lot of primals at Costco cut my own steaks or chops foodsaver and freeze. Also I hit the "manager specials" every wed night because thurs is when the new ads come out. Did this around Christmas and bout about 20# of choice rib roasts in 5# roasts for $5.50 a pound. Usually about 2 pounds of ribeye will make 4 meals for me and the wife. Thankfully we have no kids.
  • MikeG
    MikeG Posts: 174

Eating quality food doesn't have to be expensive.   My Wife and I no longer are interested in eating a slab/chunk of meat/fish with side dishes.  I haven't had a steak in 1.5 years and would wouldn't care to have one vs other plating options.

Much of my cooking these days is Asian to include Japanese, Thai, Vietnamese, Chinese etc where smaller amounts of meat are incorporated into soups, stir fries, curries, grilled wrapped rolls etc.  

I buy meat from Costco (or the mexican market in the case of beef flap meat) and portion it out into smaller packs which are vac sealed and tossed into the freezer.  I have salmon and tri-tip defrosting for dinner tonight presently.

What has become more and more expensive is buying at the "white people" grocery store.  I go there for some staples, but the bulk of my fresh food goods are now bought at asian markets including myriad varieties of leafy greens, pork belly, veggies etc.  All are cheaper than at traditional grocers with more variety and learning about them is a great journey in and of itself.

• gte1
    billyray said:
    I'm assuming you are calling New Yorks and ribeyes etc. choice cuts, but not meaning that they are USDA Choice grades at Safeway.

No, I mean choice grade. This is copied from their web site. Angus BeefAll of our Angus Beef is USDA Choice, certified humane, and comes from cattle verified as born and raised in the USA. Our cattle are fed grass, hay, grains and legumes and finished on corn, resulting in the finest quality meat -- just as nature intended. We offer Tenderloin, New York Strip, and Rib Eye cuts, with many more depending on your location.
    George
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    What has become more and more expensive is buying at the "white people" grocery store.

What's that?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • MikeG
    MikeG Posts: 174
    henapple said:
    What has become more and more expensive is buying at the "white people" grocery store. What's that?
    LOL, I forgot everywhere isn't Utah.  Any other than "ethnic" markets
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Costco does have much better (and less expensive) meat than most of the grocery stores around here, but I have found some very nice ribeye steaks at a recently remodeled Winn Dixie much closer to home.  The nice thing is, if you want a whole or PSMO tenderloin, Costco generally does have a few dozen to choose from.  Ribs?  They have piles of St. Louis cut spares or baby backs, with a 3 rack cryopack costing about what a fancy restaurant will charge you for a half rack.

I cooked some Winn Dixie ribeyes last night...first time trying raised direct, and a reverse sear...and they were great.  No pictures...all the evidence has been eaten.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    There is an Asian market here in Georgia called super h mart that has really good prices on meat and a good selection. I picked up some grouper yesterday for $11.99 a pound at regular price not on sale. Most stores around here that carry grouper charge $20 a pound and up. I also shop at Costco and buy alot of meat there also.
  • billyray
    gte1 said:
    billyray said:

No, I mean choice grade. This is copied from their web site. Angus BeefAll of our Angus Beef is USDA Choice, certified humane, and comes from cattle verified as born and raised in the USA. Our cattle are fed grass, hay, grains and legumes and finished on corn, resulting in the finest quality meat -- just as nature intended. We offer Tenderloin, New York Strip, and Rib Eye cuts, with many more depending on your location.
    Out here in Nocal our local Safeway doesn't carry any USDA Choice, just their Ranchers Reserve, which is USDA Select.
  • My local stuff is a little cheaper than what you report but I made the decision to not be skimpy on my food. I do the same thing with my bed. I spend a lot of time sleeping every day and I feel that is the last place to save money. As for food, it is what fuels my life and body. Plus it is very enjoyable to eat good. The food is a large part of my budget but it is very enjoyable for me and my family.
    Amen...same thing here. Natural Form bed for me about three years ago. Great decision. That and starting making as many meals from scratch as possible. I used to see preparing meals as a chore. Just needed more fun ways to cook. :)

Sous Vide Flank Steak tonight...mmmmmmmm good. 30 hours and then a quick sear. Gotta love $4.50 a pound cut that tastes like a $16 a pound cut with the proper prep.

We very rarely eat out anymore unless we are traveling. Why waste good money on disappointing grub?
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    There are only two of us at home and we only eat out once or twice a month now.  We use to eat out 3 or 4 times a week, I think our food budget has decreased and the quality of what we eat has gone up.  We are lucky to have a good independent butcher near us and we like to support him.

Gerhard
  • The price of butts and briskets are minimal compared to the Prime cuts of beef.  Besides, the cheaper cuts cooked slow and low taste much better.  I can feed a family of 4 with a pork butt cheaper than going than buying 4 combo meals at Mickey D's.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!