Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Paella-Almost there (pics)

Options

I have really been looking forward to my first Paella on the BGE. First off, I borrowed my sisters Paellera. Sounds kinda crazy but it flooded me with thoughts as a child as the pan was actually from my parents and has probably not been used for 30+ years. I love it; it’s a Michael Lax Designs Copco and its all circa 1960’s.  

imageimage

I made to trip to the local Latin Grocery and got the short grain rice, saffron and fresh made Chorizos. So when I got ready to prep and cook I realized that I was missing a few ingredients so I made a few substitutions some worked some I will change. First off I had no fresh tomatoes so I used crushed canned (of all the things to not have jeez), I could not find Garbanzo beans so I substituted with habichuelas. All and all it made a nice Sofrito as you can see in the pic. I toasted the saffron and let it steep on my outside burner next to egg. It’s a fantastic aroma. Browned the chicken and combined the ingredients. Seemed to have everything on track

imageimage

So popped a brew and enjoyed the moment. When I next checked I got a little worried as I got a little burning on the sides and thought it would be similar on the bottom. BTW- I was cooking direct and had the dome temp pegged at 350. Anyway I missed getting a perfect soccarat but ended up leaving a small layer crusted to the pan (sorry no pic). It did taste awesome and it did get devoured but between us here…felt like hitting a long fly ball…almost there…

What did I learn and what will I do differently. First off I wanted to follow a more traditional model but moving forward I think I will try to brown the chicken on the grate, I loved the Habichuelas and will use again. I think the smaller size works better as there are a lot of other ingredients competing for space and the flavor is finer (I know it’s a LATAM bean but…). I am also tempted to insert the plate setter and drop in a mild wood chunk in the last 30 minutes or so. I know the experts out there could help. I think part of this is also my paellera and just trying to make it work for me. Anyway, glad I did my first with chicken and will do a few more times before going with seafood. Also, down the road I will do a whole latin night with a 1905 salad, mojito’s & sangria and some Spanish cream. Love my green egg!

Comments

• LongboardR
    Options

Forgot to comment on the Chorizo...it made the dish. Nothing like the real deal. Not sure if folks have access to the authentic stuff but its worth it. I got mine at http://www.cacciatoreandsons.com/about.html.  

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    that reminds me i need to cook another paella. yours looked really good.  looks like you were running a little low on lump at the end i can never get that right. i always have leftover lump :))

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    @LongboardR.  I from the Tampa area as well and buy chorizo @ Cacciatore Brothers on Hanley Road over in Town and Country.  I wonder if there is any relation to your spot?  Congrats on a great cook
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Elmer Fudd
    Options
    Great to see the post. I bought a BGE paella pan several, months ago and haven't stepped up to the plate yet... Now I might be waiting for warmer days. Looks awesome and I can't wait to try it. Elmer Fudd
    Minneapolis / St. Paul. Large & Mini