Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Fah-jeehtas

Hey Guys! I'm back! Sorry for the long absence. I took some vacation days and went down to the ranch, where I got sick and have been trying to recover ever since. Came down with a nasty case of bronchitis. I've been popping in every once in awhile on my Kindle, checking out everybody's cooks and occassionally chiming in, but have pretty much been taking it easy.

Fired up the Mini last night, first time Egging since Christmas Day (I do have some pics of some ribs I did at the ranch, but they were done on my old offset so I'm sure you aren't interested). Did some beef fah-jeehtas. Really wish I had my Large to do them on, but its still sitting in my parents back yard. Really need to go get it back. Maybe this week. So due to smaller space, I cut the skirt steak into thirds to get it done on the Mini.

For the marinade, I just did a simple soy sauce, tequilla, lemon juice and added some onion powder, garlic powder and Fiesta Fajita spice (thought I had some DP Fajita-ish, but I guess I'm out) No measurements, just kinda dumped it in.

Fired up the Egg to about 500F for this cook.

Second batch (all three wouldn't fit at one time)

Topped them off with some raw onions and some cojita cheese and a side of some refried whistle berries. Thought I had some cilantro to go with them, but it had turned into some freaky science experiment gone wrong in the veggie drawer so we did withought.

Can't seem to ever get my pictures of fajitas or tacos to come out that good. Granted, brown plate, brown meat, brown beans, white tortilla, white onion and white cheese probably don't make the best color combo, but it was still pretty tasty. Not the best fah-jeetas I've ever had, but better than pre-marinated stuff. I probably should have looked up a recipe, but I sorta winged it going with what I could remember reading going into a marinade. I probably forgot something and it came out a little salty, but still super tasty. Just glad I'm starting to feel like eating and Egging again. No what to make tonight for the premier of the Bachelor? I kid, I kid! For the Big Game tonight.

And a bit of Off Topic, for those interested. While down on the ranch, I spotted this guy a couple of times about 4 days in a row. Nice little 8 pointer. Hopefully he'll stick around for awhile and get a bit bigger.

And his little harem of does. The most we counted at one time was 12 does, next season should be good if they stick around.image

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    edited January 2013
    The fajitas look & sound delicious!  Glad you're feeling better... the plague is going around this house, too.
    Cool buck & doe pictures, thanks!
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Sorry to hear you are sick too.  Was just going to drop you an email, but you surfaced.  
    Meal looks delis, but them I an a sucker for good fajitas and refried beans.  
    A friend of ours in south Texas swears the only marinade for fajitas is Lone Star beer, onions, garlic, dried pepper, cumin and the meat.  I know,  Lone Star!.... but he makes some great fajitas.  
    take care.  

Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    What are you trying to say? I like Lone Star...well Lone Star Light, gotta watch my figure ya know. It always brings back fond memories of floating the river down in New Braunfels. :D

Rowlett, Texas

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    those fajitas look really good. glad you are feeling better!

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Griffin said:
    What are you trying to say? I like Lone Star...well Lone Star Light, gotta watch my figure ya know. It always brings back fond memories of floating the river down in New Braunfels. :D
    Well I guess it is better that P water (Pearl beer).   :)
    During the rodeo trail ride we always tried to stayed very close to the LS truck
  • tays44
    tays44 Posts: 93

Good looking stuff.  IF you buy the premarinated John Soules Foods brand beef fajitas, they aren't too bad.  They use all Choice or Certified Angus for their products.  Pretty good quality stuff.

WHere is your ranch?  I noticed some high fences, are you high fenced all the way around?  If you're in Texas let me know if you need to eliminate any wild hogs this summer!

- EAT BEEF -
  • Griffin
    Nearest town is Weesatche, but since nobody knows where that is, I generally just tell people about 15 minutes North of Goliad. We are not high fenced. We were starting to have a hog problem, but they all mysteriously disappeared this summer. I haven't seen one since.

Rowlett, Texas

• Not too far from Yorktown.  Other half's family was from Westhoff.  
  • Griffin
    Yup, halfway between Yorktown and Goliad. Didn't figure anybody knew where Yorktown was either. We drive through there on our way down.

Rowlett, Texas

• Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    Fajitas look great Griffin, but them tenderloins on them does at that feeder look great too. If you need help takin care of some hogs, just holler.