Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dutch ovens

Options
Wolfpack
Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
After seeing all the chili recipes i have to get one. What are your thoughts? Size preference, cast iron, enameled?
Greensboro, NC

Comments

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    I have a Lodge cast iron flat bottom 8 quart that works great for chili or other recipes for 4 or less people.  I plan to get a 12 quart sometime in the near future for bigger cooks.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    7 Quart Lodge enameled - Works great - chilli comes out real good in it on the Egg. 

Garnerville, NY
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    +1 on Lodge.  The lid from my dutch oven doubles as a deep dish pizza pan.
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    I bought a cheap pan from Bed Bath and Beyond.  It has worked very well for chili, roasts, etc.  Now that I have had success, a fancy French Le Creuset or something similar is on my wish list...
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    This is the one I use - I especially like the spiral on the wire handle.

http://tinyurl.com/bkw7k6j

Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Ellis
    Ellis Posts: 195
    Options

+1 with robnybbq, and is easy to clean

• CeramicChef
    Options
    I found out the hard way that acidic based sauces pull the seasoning out of cast iron. You may want to think about getting a DO that has been porcelain coated on the inside. You'll want to use this only on your BGE as if will get discolored. Don't go too expensive as it just isn't worth it. You might also think about cast aluminum porcelain coated. For most purposes, it will do just as well.
  • TFols
    TFols Posts: 241
    Options
    I have a 5qt Lodge CI and a 7-1/4qt Le Creuset. I use the 7-1/4 more often due to it being a more versital size for me. The enamel coated DO is easier to clean. If I were to only have one I probably would lean towards the enamel coated but I do like using CI.
    Bloomfield, NJ