Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kroger style boston butt with 3% solution

I picked up a boston butt from Kroger's to smoke today. Noticed this morning that it says contains up to 3% solution of salt and sodium phosphate.  I guess this is a brine?

I have never used a butt with a 3% solution like this? Any experience with such butt's?  How do they compare to plain butt's without the solution?

Comments

• Where's stike when ya need him?? @nola can prolly break it down. But my .02 is they turn out great what ever it is. I cook ribs and butts and tenderloins from Kroger all the time. I rinse them off after I open them with cold water just cause. I believe some packages have this "brine" and some don't. Have to read the fine print.

Hope this helps.

XLBGE 
  • mimauler
    mimauler Posts: 136

Here ya go:

For the purposes of this discussion, enhanced meat can be defined as fresh, whole muscle meat that has been injected with a solution of water and other ingredients that may include salt, phosphates, antioxidants, and flavorings. Regular meat can be defined as fresh, whole muscle meat that has not been injected or marinated.

goggle enhanced meat

• I cook them when they are cheaper than the ones I get a Sam's club.  I have never had anyone be able to tell me there is a difference in the taste when they have it instead of what I cook from Sam's club.
  • Basically it is meat injected with a solution of sodium phosphate and sodium chloride.  Meat industry uses this solution to inject moisture into the meat.   So, besides paying for the meat you are also paying for additional water and salts.   There are many good arguments for both pro-brine and con –brine, but it really comes down to your choice and your preference. 

Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,322
    I'm in the "can't tell the difference camp"-especially after a protracted low&slow cook.  All tastes great to me but then again my taste buds may be contaminated by the supervisory adult beverage or more... :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    3% ain't bad.  It's the 8% - 12% added solutions on ribs and chicken that Kroger carries that can ruin good intentions. t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • tays44
    tays44 Posts: 93
    Good explanation here. As long as you stay away from anything that has any sort of enzyme (bromelen, papain, ficin) you will be fine. Those enzymes especially papain can really compromise the structure of the muscles in proteins. A simple solution such as the one you bought is just for tenderizing and can also increase shelf life in some cases.

Basically it is meat injected with a solution of sodium phosphate and sodium chloride.  Meat industry uses this solution to inject moisture into the meat.   So, besides paying for the meat you are also paying for additional water and salts.   There are many good arguments for both pro-brine and con –brine, but it really comes down to your choice and your preference. 

- EAT BEEF -