Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Repair of antique big red green egg (24 yrs.+)

I'm having trouble regulating the temp. in this egg to hold at 225 degrees F.   It is not possible to kill the fire by closing all vents.  This model had no gasket when new.   I have read several posts recommending various types of gaskets to seal the lid and bottom.  Do you think this will work on this model?
If so, what is the most durable type of gasket?  I have realigned the top and bottom for the tightest fit with no gasket but have had no success with
temperature control.  I love to cook pulled pork but can't get a stable low temperature.  Also, any help on an operating manual for this model.  Mine is
an old xerox copy that has long sense faded away.

Thanks to all,
George

Comments

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Check out the Naked Whiz site at: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/infocentral.htm. Scroll to the bottom for scans of old kamado manuals. As for the gasket, I would think a BGE gasket or Nomex would be fine as it sounds like you have an old earthenware kamado that you don't want to take up to high heat and a Rutland, Coltronics, or Permatex gasket would be overkill IMO. You can find gasket info at that same link.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • R2Egg2Q

Thanks for your timely post.  Do you think the gasket alone will fix my temp problems?

Thanks,  
    George
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727

Is the intake sealed properly? If it isn't then air could be leaking in even when it is closed and so would still feed the fire. Maybe some high temp silicone sealant would help?

We would love to see some pics of your vintage egg.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    thorpe47 said:

R2Egg2Q

Thanks for your timely post.  Do you think the gasket alone will fix my temp problems?

Thanks,  
    George
    The gasket should certainly help if you have gaps between the lid & base. caliking had a good suggestion to check the seal on your draft door. Some of the manuals for the old Kamados are pretty specific about limiting the amount of charcoal to load which be could be to help keep temps down (or maybe to reduce the chances of cracking the old fireboxes).
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Caliking
    I just put a new stainless draft door on the"red egg".  Mine was shot!  As you suspected, I failed to use sealant between the egg and the door flange.  (I was in a hurry to cook a Butt for New Years!)
    Sounds like the draft door gap was more critical than I thought.  If you think of any more solutions
    please advise.  Thanks very much for all assistance.

Best,
    George
  • You can use regular silcone sealer around your draft assembly now after assembly.  This will help.  Do you have an adjustable top on the Egg?  If not how are you regulating the air flow on top?  I would think you could maintain 250 degrees with out a gasket on that cooker. JMO

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    thorpe47 said:
    Caliking
    I just put a new stainless draft door on the"red egg".  Mine was shot!  As you suspected, I failed to use sealant between the egg and the door flange.  (I was in a hurry to cook a Butt for New Years!)
    Sounds like the draft door gap was more critical than I thought.  If you think of any more solutions
    please advise.  Thanks very much for all assistance.

Best,
    George

yup, those gaps can be sneaky! Charcoal cookers can be very sensitive  about airleaks. If you can't kill the fire by closing all vents/intakes it means air is still getting in from somewhere.

Good luck with the restoration.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    I would like to see a pic of the red egg.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Smitty
    The flue cover is the antique style with a metal plate that slides horizontally to
    regulate air intake.  The cover isn't exactly sealed, but the weight of the cover
    helps to create a partial seal.  Perhaps the real, additional, problem is using too much
    charcoal.  I loaded it up in the hopes of being able to cook for 10 - 12 hours.
    That was obviously too much fuel as the red egg was still warm the next day!!!
    The ancient komodo instructions recommend a level of about 1/2 the level of 
    fire pot!  Guess you live and learn.  Thanks again for all the suggestions.
    Always happy to have more advice.

Best,

George

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,661
    its more likely the bottom vent, get some silicone. if your new to the egg, 225 can be a hard temp to hold, try 250 to 275 and the butt will cook just fine. my gasket has been gone for years and leaks badly and holds temps just fine, its the lower vent and maybe some setup experience if you new to it, each egg is different for that temp, one of mine holds 220 with the lower vent open less than the thickness of a credit card, the other is open a quarter inch
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I love the old ceramic cookers, lets see a pic of that thing.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA