Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Winter Gasket Replacement

It's winter, cold, and my gasket needs replaced. Can gaskets be removed and installed in cold weather?

Comments

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364

Not sure, but I brought mine inside the house to strip and cure.  Even working on a car in a nonheated garage at this time of year sucks.

You may burn a little extra lump, could it wait until Spring?   

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Why replace it? I have been gasket less since June and see no real need for one. Just wait till spring and put a rutland on there.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    The replacement nomex gasket says not to install under 50 degrees, so I'm either waiting till spring or when SWMBO is out of the house and I can bring the egg in
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • The replacement nomex gasket says not to install under 50 degrees, so I'm either waiting till spring or when SWMBO is out of the house and I can bring the egg in
    I love it, as a matter of fact it reminds me of this picture lol...

and this one.......

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• If you decide to do it in the house and use the spray 77 for adhesive you need to get like a 50'x50' drop cloth cause the overspray floats around and makes everything sticky. This is experience talking. LOL
  • I hope you installed a Nomex gasket.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!

• I hope you installed a Nomex gasket.
    Correct me if I am wrong, but he hasn't installed anything as of yet.

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    So Jason - did you put it in the car to keep it warm?

Waltinva - The new replacement gaskets are self adhesive, I hope I won't have to use any 3M Spay
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    I did nomex on wednesday. It was 35*f outside. I don't know if it will hold up (she's sticking good now) but I'm planning on pulled beef for saturday to break it in for pizza on sunday...

My eggs bday is coming up and I wanted to do somthin nice for her. I've had a nomex sitting on the shelf (courtesy of BGE) since february and thanks to Travis and his gasketless testimonies I never installed it (really no need, even without dome realignment. I had more smoke coming out the hinge than the daisy wheel.)

I will be sure to let you know if my cold installed gasket makes it past a high temp pizza cook.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942

I installed my Rutland with Permatex Ultra Cooper when it was 45 degrees.  Holding up fine after a few years.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    I installed mine this winter after 4 years gasketless.  Used a Rutland and permatex and it seemed to cure just fine. 
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    edited January 2013
    The gasket in my large is pretty toasty.  I've been toying with the idea of going commando.  Yesterday I was cooking and opened the Egg & got a Woomf! and a good sized flashback.  I guess I was distracted because I wasn't expecting it and was startled.  I let go of the lid from about 8 inches up and it landed hard.  I thought about what would have happened had I been going commando.  Decided in spring I am going to install the high-heat gasket I bought from the dealer. 
    Flint, Michigan
  • RocEGG
    RocEGG Posts: 89
    Yeah, I see the gasket as a bumper for top dome coming down too hard on the base. I also was having a problem of losing more smoke out the "gasket" than the daisy. I replaced the original with a BGE "high temp" gasket direct from the mothership under warranty. I did it and it was about 40 degrees out. I did use my heat gun to heat up the edge a bit. It also helped to have a sharp large blade heavy duty scraper that I could hold onto with gloves on. It has been fine with a few cooks now.
    Rochester, NY  - XL BGE
  • Mine is coming off in places because I pulled the dome up when it was frozen shut. I'll be readhearing it next week when the temp goes up. In the spring ill be using permatex for an adhesive instead of the 3m Super 77
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    After my short 6hr smoke for pulled beef saturday, and pizza night tonight at temps of 600-700* for over an hour my nomex gasket is sticking good with the super 77...

Looks like you are good to go!