Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First pork butt cook

2»

Comments

• mimauler
    mimauler Posts: 136
    That's a good point it's done when it's done however over two hours per pound for a Boston butt is a long time with a 250 dome.
  • mimauler said:
    That's a good point it's done when it's done however over two hours per pound for a Boston butt is a long time with a 250 dome.
    I have to say, that of all the butts I have done (insert joke here) and I have done over 50, I have typically been right around 2 hours per pound at 225 grate. As I said earlier, with the set up I have, the dome is the same as the grate after about the first hour.

His fire must have gone out, but prior to that, he must have had some serious temp fluctuations that he didn't see.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• mimauler
    mimauler Posts: 136
    How do you get the dome equal to the grate are you cooking your butts raised indirect?
  • Pick your chin up! The meat is still ok to eat.

When I fill up the lump for a butt, it is all the way up, almost touching or touching the plate setter. Start the fire in the middle, on top of the lump. You only need a small fire to get up to temp. I have been able to get 20 hours like this in the XL.

I usually will start mine about 9pm and figure taking them off about noon- 15 hrs. If you are running short on time don't be afraid to run the temp up to 300* dome. Make sure you calibrate your thermometer- boiling water 212*.

I have never been able to get too much smoke on a butt.

Most importantly don't give up! Come back here and ask more questions. Hope you do another one this weekend.

• mimauler said:
    How do you get the dome equal to the grate are you cooking your butts raised indirect?
    I think it is because of the controller's fan circulating the air in the dome, not sure. Yes, with an adjustable rig, raised indirect.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Is it the fact that I have an XL egg? It seems like most people have a large and most people have an easier time smoking meat.
  • I have never had a problem with my xl, or my large. Just a learning curve before you master it. You will get it. If you want some pointers next time, PM me and I will help you.

• Thanks Michigan_jason!
  • And thanks to everyone for all the help. Egging is a lot less intimidating when I know I can count on this forum for help
  • Crispix49
    Crispix49 Posts: 191
    I did a 7lb butt today - right at 7 hours to get to 200 internal temp - cooked at 300 dome (grid around 265-285).  The egg seems to hold a little higher temp more constantly than say 225.  Sitting in cooler wrapped in HDAF and a towel until dinner time.
    Atlanta suburbs
    Large & Mini owner
    UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!
  • twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    I did a couple of 7.5 lb butts last weekend that ended up taking 17 hrs. That was way over 2 hrs/lb. They stalled at 180F for several hours before taking off again. Once past the stall, they finished rather quick.

I filled with as much lump as I could get under the platesetter. I still had a LOT left after those 17 hrs. I was impressed, considering how cold it was.