Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Searing in spider on CI

Options
DawgDays
DawgDays Posts: 83
edited January 2013 in EggHead Forum
So I've found a 13" CI grate (MSRP $40, really?!) for the small in order to sear close to the flames in my LBGE. One question that crossed my mind -- do I need to reseason this grate constantly?

I'm assuming the high temps will just strip seasoning right off and it will rust. Anyone have experience with this technique that can weigh in?

Comments

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I just got an AR with a spider for Christmas and T-rexed some steaks on it a couple of times.  We've been livin' high on the hog this Christmas season!  Anyway, I haven't noticed any rust yet.  I'm anxious to hear what our more seasoned members say.
    Flint, Michigan
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    What work for me is I leave the CI grid on the spider when I raise my steaks up to finish.  Might throw a small chunk (half the size of my small finger) of mesquite on the CI Grid to generate smoke.  This give the mesquite a better chance to smolder as opposed to sitting right on the lump where it can flame.  

When the steaks come off, I pull the CI Grid, brush and spray the grid with Pam (make sure to spray outside the egg).  Then the CI grid goes on the top grid where I finished the steaks.  This way the CI grid reseasons as the egg cools down.  A rig crossbar is handy for hooking and pulling the CI grid from the spider. 

t

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    Just as Tom said, pretty much all I do is a quick brush off, and a mop with oil or a spray with pam then let her come down with the egg. Simple as that, I try to do it every cook also.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• DawgDays
    Options
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    You might want to try that 13 inch CI grate directly on the coals and follow Adam Perry Lang's clinching technique from his "Charred and Scruffed" book - awesome taste!!!

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    The seasoning ashes around 800F.  There's no reason to go over that, but it's tough not to if you're right over the coals (the dome temp has nothing to do with the temp right above the coals).
    Options
    @DawgDays - your assumption is correct if you're negligent on re-seasoning after a good sear. I've been guilty of that and my Small CI has a bunch of rust now and I need to stop being lazy and clean it up, season it good and maintain it properly.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    I used to sear using the spider + small CI grate.  The CI grate looses its seasoning fairly quickly and starts to rust (not a big deal) if you don't oil it after each cook.  I now stopped using it and I sear directly on the coals (caveman style).  You should still get the spider if you plan on wokking.