Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast iron taste

Options
Did burgers and beans tonight

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Only my second time cooking in cast iron. I figured I'd just put the beans in it to heat them up and cook the whole meal on the egg.

Well the beans tasted awful. Really strong bitter taste. Is that the cast iron? I did a buttered onion in it last time and had the same taste. The cast iron set was a wedding present and the box said pre seasoned.

Dumb it don't wont offend me I have no idea about cast iron like this.

XLBGE 

Comments

• Adamd
    Adamd Posts: 160
    Options
    I would scrub it down and season it the correct way. I think I have the same cast iron pan and I have not had any issues, however I never cooked beans in it yet.
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Adamd said:

I would scrub it down and season it the correct way. I think I have the same cast iron pan and I have not had any issues, however I never cooked beans in it yet.

Yea maybe I should just do that. The beans are just bush's open can and heat so the taste isn't from them.

XLBGE 
  • tyenic1
    tyenic1 Posts: 150
    Options
    I have two cast iron pans. One I use for chili the other I use for fajitas.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    Give it a good cleaning and maybe a re-seasoning. I cook in cast iron all the time, was raised on it here in the south. I love it and you will too once you get it where you can use it. The old timers around here (hope I don't offend anyone) say the best way to season cast iron is to cook bacon in it a few times then cook cornbread a few times.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Village Idiot
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:
    Give it a good cleaning and maybe a re-seasoning. I cook in cast iron all the time, was raised on it here in the south. I love it and you will too once you get it where you can use it. The old timers around here (hope I don't offend anyone) say the best way to season cast iron is to cook bacon in it a few times then cook cornbread a few times.
    I've been saying that all along.  The best way to season a DO or a wok is to use it.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• shtgunal3
    Options
    I been wanting to buy another DO but don't want to buy a new one. Waiting to find an old one at an estate sale or something

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• MrCookingNurse
    Options
    @shtgunal3
    So can I clean it really good with soap and water than toss it on the egg with some bacon? Use olive oil? Butter?

XLBGE 
  • Garlic
    Garlic Posts: 40
    edited January 2013
    Options
    I was taught to clean cast iron cookware with really hot water and a brush. After scrubbing food remenants off, place on stove and heat gently to drive off remaining moisture. Then wipe cooking surface with a lite coat of oil. Lodge makes a brush just for this. @ necessaryindulg. That's a great way to clean CI ware, got to appreciate the knowledge of our grandparents.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    This is the best cast iron cleaner. http://www.cmscrubber.com/
  • shtgunal3
    Options
    Boil some water in it. Get it real hot. Scrub it with a good plastic scouring pad or use course salt as Kristi speaks of. Once you get it good and clean, rub it down inside and outside with crisco shortening. Put it on heavy. Heat up the oven or the egg to 400-500. Put it on there upside down. If using the oven you will want to put a drip pan under it so you don't get the oven all jacked up. Turn off oven or shut down egg. When it cools do it again. You can do it three or four times. The more you do it the better it will be. You can use canola or olive oil on the second time and beyond. Then get to cooking on it. The more you use it the better it will be. NEVER wash with soap. After cooking with mine, while it is still hot, I clean mine with hot water and a washcloth. After washing I put on stove eye on medium low to completely dry and then coat with oil and back on medium low for ten minutes or so and then let cool and wipe out with paper towel. I also store mine with a paper towel in it. This seems like a lot but it really isn't.

• SamFerrise
    Options
    IMHO cast iron is great for frying or baking in, however, making any sauce based recipes is not recommended.  There is tomatoes in the sauce for your beans most likely. Tomatoes are acidic and you will get a strong iron taste.  Use a glazed dutch oven.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!