Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need Help Chicken Pot Pie

Options

I have tried Chicken Pot Pie a few times now with the same outcome. I use my dutch oven and after about 10 minutes on the egg the liquid starts to boil up over my puff pastry and this keep my pastry from becoming brown? I just use a easy standard recipe from food network. Any help or new recipes would be helpful. Thanks.

Gary

Comments

• psalzer
    psalzer Posts: 108
    Options
    I think some things may be better cooked in a regular oven
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited January 2013
    Options
    What temp are you cooking it at? I presume you are doing it indirect? Perhaps try to do it in a shallower pan to allow more heat to escape. The high sides of a dutch oven hold in more moisture than a baking pan or skillet.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited January 2013
    Options

While not a fan of Chicken Pot Pie cooked anyway, I have not found ANYTHING better cooked in an oven.

Cakes, pies, cookies, sponge cake and anything cooked in a DO, nothing that works for me better in an oven.

Thoughts?????????????

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options

if you have any ramikins that are oven proof . i have oversized soup mugs i bought for this recipie then try this http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/individual-chicken-pot-pie-with-puff-pastry-recipe/index.html

i made it last year and they turned out great. i even did the build your own puff pastery i took a photo with my phone let me figure out how to post it

ps sorry i cant actually answer your question

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    I did a chicken pot pie two weeks ago (actually two) with chicken I cooked on the egg, but I finished it in the oven. 

A couple of points: Did you cut vent holes in the pastry? You also could start with the filling cold. You also might try cutting down on the liquid; you should have just enough to bind the ingredients. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    Options
    I always cook it seperately, and put the puff pastry or biscuits on the top at the very end.

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• bamabbq
    Options
    Thanks for the help. I used a few of the suggestions and it came out wonderful this time. I made sure that it didn't have alot of liquid in it this time but the best thing was I used a shallow baking pan instead of the dutch oven and it was spot on. Thanks so much...