Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Heat, and how do you get it HOT,,,HOT,,,HOT?

Options
Hello all and I hope all had a Great Holiday Season and a Happy New Year. Got me the large egg and nest for X-mas from the better half, and have broken it in and did us up a pork roast which came out good. But for pizza and high heat items, how do you actually get the egg up to 600 or higher? Any tricks to it or just add more charcoal? I'd appreciate any help or comments at all. Thanks for takin the time.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    lump up halfway into the fire ring, lower vent wide open, take the daisy vent off the egg completely, give it enough time and your looking at 1200 degrees, start shutting down the lower vents well before that
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Welcome-great gift and the BGE is all about fuel and air-flow.  If you have the fuel (see fishlessman's post) and it is lit then it's just a question of the amount of air the fire has to work with.  When you get up above around 300-350*F, remember to "burp" your BGE when opening or you will find out first-hand about flashback. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • calracefan
    Options
    Before filling your egg with lump make sure the air holes are open !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • bobroo
    bobroo Posts: 143
    Options
    Starting the cook with no ash at the bottom of your Egg will maximize your updraft!
    If it's brown, it's cook'in....If it's black, it's done ---my Grandfather     Medium BGE
  • BigEggOnTheBend
    Options
    Thanks for all the insight here. I will try removing the daisy top all together and see what happens. Thanks again all, wishin a great day to you all.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Thanks for all the insight here. I will try removing the daisy top all together and see what happens. Thanks again all, wishin a great day to you all.
    its really hard to get the egg over 450 with the daisy on, it needs to be off the egg sitting on the table, then be carefull as somedays the fire gets away from you quickly
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Smokin_Trout
    Options

Light the lump at the bottom for hot, light the top of the lump for lower temps. Open everything wide open and watch it rise.