Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Year's (or any day) Chili - (picture heavy)

Been making chili on New Year's day for years on the stove top. Since I got my Egg in 2012 I searched high and low for a no bean Egg Dutch Oven chili recipe without result. Today I adapted my stove top recipe. It turned out awesome. Here is a photo documentation of the cook. The smoke from the Egg on the chili takes it to a new level. Don Henley's chili recipe is a good basic no bean recipe. Simple. While I like it spicy I don't like pain, I cut the cayenne pepper to 1 tsp. Another variation is I use an 8 oz can of tomato sauce and 15 oz can of diced tomatoes. It was done with pecan and cherry chunks for smoke. Started at 350 but took it down to about 300 after a couple of hours. It took about 1 hour to get to a good simmer. After two hours skimmed  fat and added masa/water mixture. Cooked 4 hours total, adding water as necessary to keep it from getting too thick. I think the pictures will tell the rest of the story. Here's the recipe: http://www.panix.com/clay/cookbook/bin/show_recipe.cgi?chili+recipe124 
LBGE - July 2012
Valencia, CA

Comments

• tyenic1
    tyenic1 Posts: 150
    Looks really good. I have a dumb question for ya. What does adding the masa/water mixture do for the chili? Is it for taste, texture?
  • jfarley
    jfarley Posts: 145
    Not at all a dumb question. The masa is definitely for the texture. It works kind of like a roux in thickening the chili. That being said, it is a carry over from my years on the stove top. This one was thickening up pretty well on its own. Perhaps it is not needed and should be considered optional.
    LBGE - July 2012
    Valencia, CA
  • tyenic1
    tyenic1 Posts: 150
    Cool, thanks for sharing.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Looks tasty! I'm going to have to try Eggin' some chili soon.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA