Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First bacon and smoked almonds

Options
fletcherfam
fletcherfam Posts: 935
edited January 2013 in EggHead Forum
So I just finished my first bacon. Inspires by the others on the forum lately. My set up was to make buckboard bacon (from pork shoulder) used a cure recipe my butcher uses. I split the shoulder in half and deboned it. Cut it into about 4 pieces. Put cure on it last Monday Christmas eve. Flipped it twice daily. Pulled it out and ran water over it for about an hour then did a " Test fry." Not too salty. Put the bacon in the egg for most of the day to form pellicle.

Finally ready I started the cold smoke at around 7:00 pm last night finished it at 11:00 am this morning. Couldn't wait to fry it up so we did. Turned out really really good, a little bit more smoke than I had wanted but figure it will mellow out in a couple of days. Kids loved it and wanted more. The final picture is the bacon with scrambled eggs we collected yesterday, cheese I smoked on the egg and homemade sliced plum jam. Life doesn't get much better than this. Will definitely don't his again.

Lessons learned:

1. I need better knives.
2. I need a mew at slicer
3. This is really easy.
4. Remember tro take almonds out of oven before you preheat it. They got ruined.

Comments

• milesbrown4
    Options
    Great post!  what temp did you have on the cold smoke?  I want to try this - I am a bit nervous.  Thanks for posting!
  • fletcherfam
    Options
    Outside temp was mid 30s all day. Internal tramp of the egg probably did not get above 50 for the entire time. I used the amaze-n-smoker and it was very simple once I got it lit. Set it and forget it. I honestly found more, and more useful, information at meatsmokingforum.com. nothing against the guys here, but thay forum a ton of people have who have already done bacon or other cold smoking. Let me know if you have any other questions