Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

first fire up

Options

Hello I am wondering if I need to do a clean burn on my egg before I first use it. It is brand new.

Thanks,

Andy

Comments

• dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    Options
    No.  Actually you are supposed to keep the temp down to 350 or below for the first 2 or 3 cooks so the gasket can seal properly.

-Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Its as clean as its ever going to be. Appreciate that creamy white inside while you can.
    :)

While I'm sure you want to get right to cooking, it might be worth the trouble to just start a fire, and see how the temperature develops w. vent changes. One thing to watch is how fast the temp can increase to maximum w. the vents all the way open. Above 450F, the heat can jump up at astonishing rate.
  • DocWonmug
    DocWonmug Posts: 300
    Options
    Some folks would agree the first egg fire up has an odd odor. Plus a fire up with no cook let's you get the hang of temperature control. No clean burn needed though.
    LBGE