Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Head Scratcher...no stall on whole brisket...14 lb done in 9 hrs?

Options
Crispix49
Crispix49 Posts: 191
First, I want to say that I am a long-time lurker, now a first time poster.  Bought an LBGE January of this year, and I have lurked on this forum for months gleaning nuggets of wisdom from many of you; so thank you for that.

I feel like I am not an expert, but not a beginner on the BGE anymore; my most recent cook has me wondering what happened and prompted me to actually post a question.  Put on a whole 14 lb brisket (rubbed w/Cow Lick and used about 5 or 6 mesquite wood chunks).  Got Egg stabilized at around 280 prior to putting on the meat at 11pm last night figuring about 1 hour per lb cook time...I then waited an hour+ before going to be to let temp get back up.  Woke up a couple times in the night to check remote therm and I noticed the grid temp hovered between 220-240, but the food temp was rising quckly.  Since I have done a number of butts and this being my 3rd brisket, I figured that a major stall around 170ish was about to happen...but it didn't.  Kept climbing up to 195 when I started checking it with a fork.  I pulled at around 200 and FTC'd, cut off point and made burnt ends with it. 

Is this common or is this a case of "every peice of meat is different"?

The core issue here is I pulled off the meat around 8am; the brisket was supposed to be for a New Years Eve block party starting at 6pm, so I will have to re-heat later, which I know is not optimal for brisket.

Thanks again, and I look forward to actually contributing more to the conversations now.

Atlanta suburbs
Large & Mini owner
UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Welcome to the cult-and "every piece of meat is different".  Of course, the higher the cook temp the less of a stall you will see.  Just a reminder about who/what is in charge.  Enjoy the brisket and the party!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • BigTex33
    Options
    I usually cook briskets at around 275-300 and I have had plenty that had very short stalls even without foiling them. In my experience, the fattier briskets do not have as much of a stall as the leaner ones. Stall or no stall, the end result is what matters. Enjoy your brisket!
  • Crispix49
    Options
    OK, thanks fellas.  I appreciate the feedback.
    Atlanta suburbs
    Large & Mini owner
    UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!
  • rcone
    rcone Posts: 219
    Options
    Same head scratcher, just yanked a 10 pound one that took 6 hours at 240 grate; everything seems very tender, and hit a temp of 203. The graft from igrill made the cook look very linear after about a 100 degrees internal. Fingers crossed I did not ruin dinner. 
    "Feed me, or feed me to something; I just want to be part of the food chain" Al Bundy

LBGE, SBGE, Carson Rotisserie, Blackstone Griddle  

Milwaukee, Wisconsin 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    @rcone - given you hit the feel, you will be fine.  You have quite a hold period in front of you.  A key element of the cook is to ensure you stop the carryover cooking by letting it sit on a cooling rack for around 20 minutes or so before the FTC. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.