Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PartyQ vs Auber Instruments vs ique110 vs other controllers question

lmd
lmd Posts: 17
edited December 2012 in EggHead Forum
I've been studying discussion of these devices on this forum, as well as the reviews on the naked whiz website.  I'm thinking I only need one of the cheaper models, as the primary objective is to control the temperature and they all apparently do this.  

My question is what temperature ranges do they work at?   Are they primarily effective for low and slow cooks, like 225 or 250?   Or do they blow hard enough to hold temperatures around 350, 400 or maybe higher? 

I have seen some discussion about the auber instruments controller (which I may be leanings towards because of price) and the possibility of upgrading the fan from the 6.5 cfm to the 20.  Is this necessary?    How does the partyq or the ique110 compare in terms of temperature range ability?

Also, when you use these devices is it best to manipulate the vents and then introduce the controllers once the target temperature is reached, or can you simply light the egg, set the target temperature on the device and let the device do all the work?

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Bought the PartyQ's big brother. Used once and sold it ( opperator error).
    Bought the PartyQ and use once ( not good, had to be more opperator error). Loaned it to a friend many months ago (so meny I called today to be sure who I loaned it too). He used it once and not real impressed.
    Where I a going with this is I am fine without one. I stopped doing overnights when I discovered turbo butts and turbo ribs.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• lmd
    Haven't tried the turbo method yet, but I've had good luck with a couple of overnights.   The peace of mind, however, from one of these devices might be worth the money for me.
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    I bought the party Q thinking that temperature control was all I really needed.  Works perfectly for overnight low and slow and for 350+.    Then I decided I needed (wanted) the remote monitoring and purchased the cyberQ.  I love being able to control the pit and monitor the temps from not only in my house, but on the road via my phone, or at work via a pc. 

I love how I can set the temp and forget, with both units..
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • jerryp
    jerryp Posts: 232
    I have the Auber Instruments controller and love it. I fancy myself a fairly tech-savy guy who loves gadgets and don't regret not having remote monitoring. I just wanted the ability to maintain a constant temp without fiddling with the daisy wheel when a breeze blows unexpectedly during an overnighter. Fits the bill nicely at a great price point. If you like things simple and effective, I highly recommend it.
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    edited December 2012
    My wife got me the Auber for Christmas based on cost. I used it on a four butt cook the other day and it worked fine at 250-300F. I guess I have the small fan. It seemed like 300F was about it's max though that was only requested for the last hour of a ten hour cook. I did not use it until the Egg was stable at 250F. But also, I don't do extended cooks above 300F and above 300F the Egg holds temp pretty solid. So I think I have what I need for min cost.
  • jerryp
    jerryp Posts: 232
    PS, I stablize the temp to my target, (within 10-20 degrees), then add the meat and attach the controller. I must admit it would be nice if it had another probe for meat temp monitoring.
  • I have a stoker with the 5 cfm fan and it has no problem keeping a 450 degree fire on my large egg.  I normally don't run it that high with the Stoker, since cooks at that temp don't last that long.  I think I may use it for potatoes, at 400.  Anything shorter than 1-2 hours, I usually don't use it.

I usually get the egg close to temp before putting the fan in. It reduces overshooting the temp and then waiting for it to come down again.  

20 cmf fan is overkill for the egg, that'd be like a blast furnace. 
  • lmd
    I already have a remote thermometer.    But even if I didn't, the lower end controller models plus a maverick remote thermometer are substantially less expensive than the wifi models.   Of course you don't get wifi going that route, but you get essentially the same benefits.  
  • I have the auber and love it. It does a great job on low and slow, and using a controller over 350 deg isn't necessary. I didn't want to spend the money on the partyQ and I am glad I did not.
  • I also already had my Maverick when I decided to get an ATC.  So I went with the Ique110.  I built the rain box they show on their website.  I have had mine for around a year and half and have had no issues with it.