Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Smoking a Turkey Breast only

AltonAlton Posts: 432
Any Ideas and or suggestions!! Want to smoke it but don't want to dry it out. HELP!!!!
PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
·

Comments

• TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    I like to do them at 350 - 375 indirect with pecan wood. Pull it off at 165 internal temp, and let rest for at least 30 minutes before slicing.
  • BotchBotch Posts: 3,044
    I did it like Tjcoley, except I brined it overnight and then let the skin dry in the frig first:

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
  • GK59GK59 Posts: 493

My 2 cents. Get some herbs and seasoning under the skin. EVOO and seasoning on the skin.

Temp as above but I started to pull off when temp is about 155* . But thats just me. A 8 lb might get you in the 2 1/2 -3 hour range off the top of my head. Alot of time I inject Michigan cherry wine in it.

If is isn't done on time ,drink the rest of the wine. 

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

·
  • The Cen-Tex SmokerThe Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 12,449
    edited December 2012
  • td66snrftd66snrf Posts: 767

I served this at the SoCal Eggfest and it was a big hit. I cook it direct heat, about 250, skin side down until the skin is the color your looking for and then turn it over. Pull it at 160.  Because of the sugar content in the brine it really browns up nicely. Brine it a few hours but overnight if you can.

2 Tblspn Kosher salt

1/2 Cup Brown sugar

2 tspn granulated garlic

1 Cup pineapple juice (you can substitute orange juice)

XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 13,679
    Many of those string-wrapped breasts are already brined, - just a word of caution.  Look at the sodium per serving - a 4 oz serving should have less than 100 mg salt.  If it's higher, it'll be way higher - like 600-700.  That means it's already brined.

·
  • Not sure if you're doing deli meat or a bone in turkey - here's a link to my very successful spatchcocked turkey breast...

Large BGE -- Greensboro!

·
  • AltonAlton Posts: 432
    Here it is! Butter, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, salt, Black Pepper, and Cayenne injection. Then poured the excess over the top. Smoked at 350 with 3 chunks of Apple wood. It came out awesome!!! Thanks for everybody help!,
    image.jpg 808.5K
    image.jpg 922.4K
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
    ·
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    Looks great.  Congrats on a good cook.