Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Setup questions

Options

So am setting up that Large BGE I posted about a few days ago and have a few questions.

• the ceramic cap and daisy wheel do not fit real snuggly.  Do you take them off before opening the BGE?
  • in the directions it talks about specific torques on the bolts and nuts are these tensions critical?
  • Cast Iron.  I am thinking CI would be best to use when not grilling/BBQ'ing  is Lodge CI good?  Any others I should look at?
  • I plan on getting a thermapen.  but also thinking about getting something like the stoker.  but it is  salty right after Christmas.  Should I save my pennies and buy it later or would I be better served getting something like the maverick right now and temp controller later?

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited December 2012
    Options
    These are just opinions:

1. The ceramic cap is only used when you're not using your egg.  Take it off if you want to use it.  The DW is used as an air damper when you're running your egg.  It can stay on when you open the lid.  Put the DW inside the egg when you aren't using it.

2. I have a torque wrench but after watching a video on band alignment, I just torque them until they're so tight the angle bracket starts bending.  If you have a good feel for mechanical fasteners, I'd say you could use your experience.  That said, having your lid fall off and break is a lot worse than a broken bolt, which is the wost thing that can happen if you overtighten.

3. Lots of threads and even more opinions on CI.  Nothing specific to an egg with it.  CI is best used in oven environments or where it can get even heating - the egg is that environment.

4. Get a thermapen first.  Save your money for a stoker rather than put that off longer by buying a maverick.   Calibrate your dome thermometer in hot water.  Check your food near when you expect it to be done with the thermapen.  Many times people put the meat probe of the maverick in the wrong place and under or over cook their food.  The thermapen can be used to rapidly check the temps in three dimensions throughout the interior of the food so you can find the coolest temps (and get a better feel for how it's cooking).
    Options

Here's a great intro link about things ceramic along with lots of related material:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm  welcome and enjoy the journey.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • itguywithanegg
    Options
    thank you.  I hope to be able to return the favor to someone some day.