Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

counterfeit plate setter?

Options
A few days before Christmas I dropped my medium plate setter on the concrete patio.  8^)  I bought a replacement online from a reliable source.  It came in a cardboard box with a Big Green Egg label that says "code PSM" on it.  The setter itself is stamped Big Green Egg (c) in the right font but it has an unusual code on the bottom.  It is slightly oversize: it fits tightly against the sides of the egg and the 15" grate rests on top of the wide legs, not in the little groove on the edge of the setter.  Did I get a counterfeit?

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    No my buddy had to take a dremmel to his to get it to fit better. The grate didn't fit the plate setter correctly on my old medium and I have noticed the same thing on mediums in stores.
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    How old is your medium? Pretty sure when BGE switched cooking grates a few months ago the size of the cooking area in the medium changed.  Haven't heard of it affecting plate setters but I guess if cooking are grew a little the plate setter would grow a little.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    Tough to answer without knowing online site.
  • zen_cooker
    Options
    Thanks for the information.  My medium Egg is about ten years old; I remember cooking on it for my 60th birthday.  If the Egg dimensions changed did they make the ceramic thinner?  I ntoice that the firebox is no longer solid, probably because so many, including mine, cracked.
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    I thought I had read that somewhere, the original medium with the black grates was 15 inches.  The new stainless grid is 15.75. Like I said before, didn't know it was affecting the plate setter but it is a possibility.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • erniemcclain
    Options

Dear Zen Master,  :))

The company I work for is a BGE dealer.  I just checked our stock.  The PSM is the code on the box.  The PS in our medium display model has the BGE name and registered logo on the leg side up and the leg side down has MC Mexico and a "serial" number.  Maybe just a sloppy mold at the factory? 

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Plate setters have been around much longer than the egg - comes from the ceramics industry (to stack ceramics without touching in a kiln). They adopted it because it worked - nothing BGE invented.  That said, looks like the wrong size.  Or bad quality control.
    edited December 2012
    Options

Older platesetter, newer Egg.

Should work if you don't use the slots on the new firering, sit it on top like they used to have them.

Give that a try.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• zen_cooker
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses!  I'm going to do what Smitty suggested and balance the 15" grid on the setter's legs.  I probably will get a new 15.75" stainless grid eventually, as the 15" grid can fall off the legs, something I wouldn't like while smokin' a brisket!