Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt Cook Time

MelResDes
MelResDes Posts: 6
edited August 2011 in EggHead Forum
Hello All,
I am a new Egger......3 week old Egg. I am going to smoke my first butt this weekend. I hope to have it for dinner Sunday night. In the recipe on the BGE site it says to smoke a 6-9 lb butt for at least 18 hours. I have a 6.5 lb butt and after reading the comments in other threads and after talking to my dealer I think 18 hours might be too long. I was thinking of following the 230 degrees that is in the recipe. Any advice? The difference will be weather I start it tonight or early tomorrow morning. I plan on eating it around 6:00 pm. Thanks!

Comments

• Daddyo
    Daddyo Posts: 224
    It takes me 18 hours for sure, but I try to stay around 225 or so and I cook to a 200 meat temp.

You'll make yourself crazy with timing if you want to get your butt done as you are ready to eat. What you need to know is that a butt will stay hot for 6 hours if you wrap it in tin foil, wrap the foil in a beach towel or two, and put the whole thing in a cooler. To be safe, plan on having your butt cooked 2 hours before you need it, and if it cooks too fast, and it's ready 4 hours early - that's perfectly fine. Foil. Towel. Cooler. Take a shower. Drink a beer.
  • There is no definitive time. But 1.5-2 hours per pound at a dome temp of 250 is what everyone uses as a guide. 225 dome is hard to hold, better to shoot for 250. Cook until the interior temp of the butt is 195, that's the golden rule.

I have done several 7lb butts and they finish right around 14 hours.

If you finish early, you can wrap the butt in foil, towels and put it in a cooler for up to 4 hours.
    If the butt is moving slow, you can crank up the heat in the last few hours to speed it up a little.

Good luck.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    A fairly good thumb rule with butt is 1 1/2 hours per pound. 230-24- dometemp is okay; remember, that will be about 15-20 degrees at the grid where the butt is. Pull at 195-200 temp, let rest for and our or wo, well wrapped. Also, you want to cook to internal temp, rather than time.
    Good cooking.

:)>-
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    oooops, I meant that 230-240 dome will be about 15-20 degrees cooler at the grid.
    Bad fingers!

:">
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • My First Butt - 8.6 lbs 250 dome temp at 12 am on 12/25/12.  Hopefully it wont take 18 hours.
  • wmrrock said:
    My First Butt - 8.6 lbs 250 dome temp at 12 am on 12/25/12.  Hopefully it wont take 18 hours.
    It's 8 hours later my dome temp is 240 and my BUTT is 180.  It cooked quicker than I thought.  Still on the pt until it reaches 190.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I cooked a 8lb bb last week....12 hours. I ftc'd for 7 hours. Hot water in the cooler to heat it, towels on the bottom, hdaf, wrap in towel and towels on top. I use the maverick for temp but pull when the bone is loose and probe slides in with no resistance.

Good luck.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Smokin_Trout
    Smokin_Trout Posts: 506
    edited December 2012

You may want to leave it unitl 195*, it pulls easier. If it's done way early follow Henapple. I also put a brick in the egg to warm it up and place it in the cooler also. Merry Christmas!

Read the last few replys on this thread-  http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1146433/pork-shoulder-help-needed#latest

Temp probe should slide in like warm butter!

• I find that the longer you cook it the better.  I seem to go 19 plus hrs.   If it just doesnt fall apart at the touch......keep cooking.  allow plenty of time.  You can always wrap in foil and a towel and put it in a cooler till time to eat.
  • wmrrock said:
    wmrrock said:
    My First Butt - 8.6 lbs 250 dome temp at 12 am on 12/25/12.  Hopefully it wont take 18 hours.
    It's 8 hours later my dome temp is 240 and my BUTT is 180.  It cooked quicker than I thought.  Still on the pt until it reaches 190.
    11 hours and 15 minutes later - done.  Its FTC now.  Here is a picture.
  • You may want to leave it unitl 195*, it pulls easier. If it's done way early follow Henapple. I also put a brick in the egg to warm it up and place it in the cooler also. Merry Christmas!

Read the last few replys on this thread-  http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1146433/pork-shoulder-help-needed#latest

Temp probe should slide in like warm butter!

195 on the button.  I pulled it and foiled it and it is in the cooler now.  Thanks for the advice.

• I say the same as others have said plan on 1.5 to 2 hrs per lb., I usually run 250 to 275 dome temp( where ever ti settles and is happy) cook until 195-205 degrees. Start early and FTC until dinner time, pull and enjoy. The last one I done I injected for the first time, I got many compliments. Good luck, remember there is almost always more than one way to accomplish a successful cook, pick out what works for you ! have a Merry Christmas !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • Looks good. How did it taste. Something I started doing was mixing in some rub when it was pulled.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Like calracefan, I normally go at least 250* and find that 275* works well cuts the time down a lot.  If you aren't overnighting, the higher temp allows a decent size butt cook for dinner to start in the morning.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • 2nd butt just went on 1 am.  Dome 250 and I set the meat at 195 with the DIGIQ.  See you in 7 hours.
  • 10 lb butt took 13.5 hours at 250 degrees.