Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I'm confused

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am a new BGE user and I read your forum daily. I want to smoke a brisket and I have read about cooking times of any where from 1 1/4 to 3 hrs at 250 degrees cooking temp. How do I plan on when to put it on?

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Carolyn,
    If it is a 8-10lb brisket, figure about 12-16 hrs at 250*. Remember that no 2 briskets are the same. They range from tough to tougher to toughest. Houndog says "If it's tough cook it a little longer"

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    Carolyn,
    I'd have to say err on the side of overcooking. I did my first brisket a couple weeks ago at about 1-1/2 hrs a pound (it was relatively flat) and I think it would have had great benefit of another 3-4 hrs on the egg. It was good, but not spectacular..and definitely a little on the chewy side.[p]The other mistake I made was not getting one with a good enough fat cap. I've been, sigh, disenchanted since. I'd stick a fork in it at 1-1/2 per lb and see what it feels like. Unless it is a real tender one, let it sit.

• NCMike
    NCMike Posts: 28
    Options
    Carolyn,
    I usually put one on about 8:30-9:00AM and cook it until about 6:00PM at 250*-275* on a roasting rack over a drip pan. At about 4:00PM I wrap it in foil and cook until it is at 200* internal temperature. I've never had one wind up tough-always very moist and tender.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Carolyn,
    The fastest succesful brisket I have done was a 7 pounder that took a bit over 10 hours. That was at 270 dome over a dry pizza stone and no drip pan.[p]At 250 dome temp over liquid, I have never gotten under 2 hours/pound. A 10 pounder took 24 hours. A 12 pounder took 26 hours. I think next time I will try either 270 with liquid, or 250 with a dry drip pan, and see how much faster they go.[p]They are all different, but my opinion is that it is best to allow extra time (at least 2 hours a pound), and longer if you use temps under 250 dome.[p]Good luck! Seems to be the season for briskets!
    NB[p]

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    NCMIKE, good post!

• NCMike
    NCMike Posts: 28
    Options
    Char-Woody, Thanks! I don't get around as much as I used to , but I still read the forum when I can. A wealth of great info and recipes. I finally got down to Texas a month ago and tried some "real" brisket. It was good, but I didn't think it was as good as what I make on the egg. I like to pull it like pork and serve it that way. Good stuff! Going to have a go at jerked ribs today-get'em going, delegate oversite to the Mrs., and pop down to the pool with the lad. Have a great Sunday!

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    NCMike, your welcome and you have a good one also.. I am trying but got a heck of a cold virus to battle..
    Must be the hot wx and fans running...!! No cooking mood as no taste anyway..sigh..! Life ??
    Cheers..C~W[p]