Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just Some Plain Ole Wings

We have been so busy lately with Christmas parties, trips out of town and Christmas shopping that we haven't done ANY Egging since that deep dish/pan pizza back on the 6th! Even when we do have time, we just simply have not had the energy.

Last night, Mrs. G was supposed to have a Girls Night out so I was determined to fix that and grill me up some wings. Wings get bought, rubbed down with some DP Dust and were air drying in the fridge. Get a call from SWMBO that the night out was canceled was canceled. There goes HALF my wings. Oh well, need to eat more rabbit food anyway.

I'll try and rack my brain for something to Egg tonight and I'm gearing up for Egging my first Prime Rib on the Egg for Christmas (and only my 2nd one to cook ever) Just gotta transport my Egg the long 10 miles to my parents house.

Wishing everybody Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukka, Kwanzaa or Festivus or however you roll.  ;)

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• +1 Looks so good, and sounds like your schedule works just like mine
    :)

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Yeah, but you been grillin and posting Doc. I haven't even been able to fire mine up for 2 weeks. Grrrr!! lookin' for ideas for tonight. It's gonna be cold again, but I moved the Egg right next to the fire pit, so I'll tough it out.

Rowlett, Texas

• Griffin

And heres a pic of Mrs. G hard at work while I cooked dinner.

Rowlett, Texas

• That looks real good Grif!  Where's the rabbit food?  You mean that garnish?  Heh, heh, heh. 

I have no doubt your prime rib will turn out every bit as great as you dream it could be!  Merry Christmas!

Flint, Michigan
  • Griffin
    There's a bowl of salad in that first picture...topped with gourmet bacon flavored croutons!!

Rowlett, Texas

• jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    Looking good Griffin! I've been wondering where you've been. I've been suffering from some of that same busy time of year stuff myself, so I figured I might've just missed one or two of your posts. But I see you are worse off on that front than I've been. One nice thing about the stir-fries I've been doing is they are fairly quick to get together and even quicker to cook.

I am doing my first PR on the Egg too. I've probably done at least two dozen prime ribs on the grill or smoker, but I'm torn on which recipe to use. I'm tempted to go with my old standby from the Virtual Weber Bullet website, but I'm also looking at recipes tailored a little bit to the Egg. I need to get off my butt and make up my mind soon as the day is fast approaching. Best holiday wishes to you and your family and good luck to both of us on our first PRs on the Egg.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • Griffin

Yeah...we've kinda been in hiding down here. It'll pick back up after the holidays...after New Years for me.

I'm sure we'll both do fine on the PR. I'm thinking about a reverse sear on mine, cooking it at either 225 or 250 grate and then searing it at the end at 500-550. I just don't know about time. Heck, at this point, I don't even know how big it is. I gave my mom a length of string that I measured off on the Egg and said "Don't get one bigger than this" Not sure how many people we are feeding. So, at 225 (or 250) about how long per pound (just so I can get it in the ballpark)? I know, temp vs time, just a rough estimate.

Rowlett, Texas

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Looks great Griff, as usual.  We have those same Fiesta plates  - you must have excellent taste!
    @Griffin-i do the low&slow prime rib at around 250*F on the dome indirect, and see about 20-25 mins/# til about 125*F in the roast-FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Griffin

@nolaegghead - that is actually a Wal-mart knock off plate. Bought it for under $3 and only bought one just to have some variety in my pictures. ;)

Thanks @lousubcap

Rowlett, Texas

• nolaegghead
    Took about 25min/pound for me last night for standing rib roast (wasn't prime :( ).

For a sear, I just hit it with a propane torch.  Fast and easy and great results!
    Like a brisket point - the more fat, the faster it cooks.  Prime, maybe 20 min/lb, around 250-ish.  The big 'ol monster cuts will take longer.  Mine was on the smallish side.
    Damn you cook good.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I'm starting to lean towards reverse sear on all my beef. @Griffin...what about flat iron steak fajitas tonight?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Those are some serious looking boots there.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Griffin said:

@nolaegghead - that is actually a Wal-mart knock off plate. Bought it for under $3 and only bought one just to have some variety in my pictures. ;)

Thanks @lousubcap

When I first saw the post, before any responses, I thought I've seen that plate before and wondered if Griff and Nola were related. =))
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Griffin

Thanks @nolaegghead. I can use all the help I can get.

Thanks @Mickey, I learnt it all from wathcing you...and then learnt me some more . ;)

Good suggestion @henapple, but I think I'm leaning more towards burgers. Or a shepherd's/cottage pie. Not sure.

@michigan_jason - Mrs. G has quite a collection of boots. My collection of Red Wings seems to be growing as well considering the City buys me a new pair of steel toed every year whether I need them or not. :D

Rowlett, Texas

• @griffin You will never keep up! It reminds me of me with my hats, and my wife with her Coach purses and matching shoes/wallets. Even though her purses are $350 plus, shoes $100 plus, and matching wallets $50 plus, I still can't keep up with her. ( I have over 50 new era hats as well :/ )

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Nice looking wings Griff!  I too have been suffering from egg withdrawals.  I'm hoping to make up for it this weekend.  Deep dish pizza, a couple of butts, 3 racks of ribs, and a couple of racks of pork on the agenda! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    @Griffin...I slow cooked burgers with the PS in till I could safely flip. I removed the PS and went to clean burn temp, let then sit in the flames and yanked them off. Best I've every done...great char.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Looks great Griff, as usual.  We have those same Fiesta plates  - you must have excellent taste!
    +1 40% off at Kohl's right now. All the colors of the rainbow.
  • What are Fiesta plates?  I only eat off of Italian & English bone china.  Does the paint come off the Fiesta plates when you eat from them?

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    edited December 2012
    You guys have good taste. I grew up 20 min from the fiesta ware factory and forgot about it as an adult...end up meeting my wife who is from Texas and loves the stuff.
  • Eggcelsior
    What are Fiesta plates?  I only eat off of Italian & English bone china.  Does the paint come off the Fiesta plates when you eat from them?
    They are as close the Egg as any dinner ware, being that they are glazed ceramic. Made in Newell, WV. I may need to make trip to the factory store as my Mikasa "Made in China" dinnerware is breaking and going from me casa to Casa de Óscar el gruñón.
  • the factory store in Newell is pretty neat. rooms full of Fiesta and outside by the parking area there is a colorful pile of broken dishes. image
  • Eggcelsior
    @Mighty_Quinn,
    Do you know what the pricing is like? Kohl's has it for 50 bucks per full set of bowl, dinner and salad plate, and mug. On sale @ 40% off for 28.99. I am willing to drive out there and swing by on my way to Columbus if the price is right.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    edited December 2012
    sorry, don't know Eggcelsior. its been years since I've been there last and that time I was there as a tourist. Seems like a pretty good deal at Kohls though. one good thing about the factory store is that pretty much everything is sold individually, not as sets so you can pick up exact pieces you want...mugs were kind of a waste for us. maybe prices are listed on website.....http://www.fiestafactorydirect.com/Default.aspx?
  • nolaegghead
    you can get that same set on Amazon for a dollar more, free shipping, no tax.
    Hard to argue with a meal like that. Wings are one of our favorite thing on the Egg
  • Eggcelsior
    Hmm.... Looks good on Amazon. Set I want for 26.47, Prime eligible. Individual plates are a better deal factory direct and I don't know if I need a full set, as Amazon is the best price for that.