Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Get ready to turn up the heat as we dive into August. While there are only a few weeks left to perfect those tailgate recipes, summer isn’t over yet! Two things we’ll be making this month are Chile Rubbed Grilled Pork Chops and Bell Pepper Kabobs. Then, relax after a cookout with a cool dessert cooked on your EGG - Ice Cream Sandwiches! You can mix and match your favorite cookie flavors with ice cream flavors. Simple, yet delicious!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

New Egg owner - change gasket out before first cook?

Hi all-

New Large BGE owner here. One thing I'm most excited about with the egg is pizza. I currently have rigged my home oven to get to 800' to bake my Neapolitan pies in about 90 seconds. Since I know I'll be getting my egg in the 700-800 range, should I go ahead and change out the gasket to a Nomex before I even use the egg? Figured it may be easier to remove now compared to after a few cooks. 

Thanks!

Comments

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,965
    If it's new it should already have the Nomex.  If, for whatever reason, you do remove it, it's not that bad a job if you warm up the egg first.  Just start cooking, is my advice.

• It's a gray wool gasket which I didn't think looked like the Nomex pictures I've seen.
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,965
    Their new Nomex are sometimes gray.  If it's new (and not new old stock - NOS) it's Nomex. They changed that a while back...well, months ago.

• The new nomex is a bright gray, the old felt ones are dark grey. If it's a felt, peel it off before it heat cures on there, much easier. 
  • If it is the old gasket, your dealer will give you a new BGE high heat gasket, all new eggs ship with the Nomex type gasket. Ask your dealer, that's why he is there and that's why he made a fair, albeit rather high profit when you became his client. 
    I would not buy a Nomex before I burned off all the gaskets my dealer will give me under warranty, but that's just me.

Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
  • Here's a picture of my gasket. Is this the new, Nomex high heat one?

Thanks!
  • Replacing the gasket before the first cook would be like siphoning the gas out of a new car before you drive it off the lot. I'd cook with it until it fails and then replace it.
  • @brandonb that appears to be the new gasket
    Coming to you from the Mothership!
  • Looks like the nomex to me too
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • that's definitely the new gasket.
  • Awesome, thanks everyone! First cook tonight! Starting with an spatched chicken!