Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

New Egg owner - change gasket out before first cook?

Hi all-

New Large BGE owner here. One thing I'm most excited about with the egg is pizza. I currently have rigged my home oven to get to 800' to bake my Neapolitan pies in about 90 seconds. Since I know I'll be getting my egg in the 700-800 range, should I go ahead and change out the gasket to a Nomex before I even use the egg? Figured it may be easier to remove now compared to after a few cooks. 

Thanks!
·

Comments

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,259
    If it's new it should already have the Nomex.  If, for whatever reason, you do remove it, it's not that bad a job if you warm up the egg first.  Just start cooking, is my advice.

·
  • It's a gray wool gasket which I didn't think looked like the Nomex pictures I've seen.
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,259
    Their new Nomex are sometimes gray.  If it's new (and not new old stock - NOS) it's Nomex. They changed that a while back...well, months ago.

·
  • The new nomex is a bright gray, the old felt ones are dark grey. If it's a felt, peel it off before it heat cures on there, much easier. 
    ·
  • If it is the old gasket, your dealer will give you a new BGE high heat gasket, all new eggs ship with the Nomex type gasket. Ask your dealer, that's why he is there and that's why he made a fair, albeit rather high profit when you became his client. 
    I would not buy a Nomex before I burned off all the gaskets my dealer will give me under warranty, but that's just me.

Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • Here's a picture of my gasket. Is this the new, Nomex high heat one?

Thanks!
    ·
  • Replacing the gasket before the first cook would be like siphoning the gas out of a new car before you drive it off the lot. I'd cook with it until it fails and then replace it.
    ·
  • @brandonb that appears to be the new gasket
    Coming to you from the Mothership!
    ·
  • Looks like the nomex to me too
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
  • that's definitely the new gasket.
    ·
  • Awesome, thanks everyone! First cook tonight! Starting with an spatched chicken!
    ·