Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

thanksgiving 101/ turkey brine

Options
in reading "thanksgiving 101" by rick rodgers - he says that 10 to 16 hours is the time for brining a turkey - over 16 hours if a definable "NO"

what is your thinking ?

thanks, mr toad
See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                    Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large

Comments

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    It will be too salty if you brine longer. I don't do it longer than 12.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I guess it depends on the salt content of the brine. The charcuterie smoked turkey brine says to brine it for 48 hours if I remember correctly and I brined mine for 36 hours this thanksgiving and it was amazing.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Lit has brightened my day!

All puns aside, it does depend on the salt content. Quick brines have high salt content to produce faster results. I did the Ruhlman brine and did it for 36 hours as well. It was incredible. It will also depend on the weight of the turkey.

Here is the brine.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

I am in the club that says you don't need to brine at all. Small club, but a few of us.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.