Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

thanksgiving 101/ turkey brine

in reading "thanksgiving 101" by rick rodgers - he says that 10 to 16 hours is the time for brining a turkey - over 16 hours if a definable "NO"

what is your thinking ?

thanks, mr toad
In dog Beers - I have had only one !
·

Comments

• jlsmjlsm Posts: 848
    It will be too salty if you brine longer. I don't do it longer than 12.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
    ·
  • LitLit Posts: 3,827
    I guess it depends on the salt content of the brine. The charcuterie smoked turkey brine says to brine it for 48 hours if I remember correctly and I brined mine for 36 hours this thanksgiving and it was amazing.
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,295
    Lit has brightened my day!

All puns aside, it does depend on the salt content. Quick brines have high salt content to produce faster results. I did the Ruhlman brine and did it for 36 hours as well. It was incredible. It will also depend on the weight of the turkey.

Here is the brine.
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,418

I am in the club that says you don't need to brine at all. Small club, but a few of us.

Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·