Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cow lick chili On the Egg vs stovetop

We made the cow lick chili on Sunday but we used Sirloin chunks instead of ground beef.  And since the Egg is in a mud pit on the lawn and it was raining we made in the dutch oven on the stove top instead.  Well it was OK but the flavor was not there from when I made it on the Egg.  I am guessing the smoke is the difference.

Cant wait for spring to try and cook on the Egg again correctly.

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• I'm getting a Dutch oven for Christmas. Will be making chili for New Years
    Boom
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Thanks for sharing this...I've always wondered how much of a difference it makes.  Now I know! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Cook the chili in the oven instead of the stove top and it will be closer to the flavor of the egg.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • I have made his recipe twice (both times exact recipe). The first time I did the whole cook on the egg and got carried away on the smoke. I just thought the sauce had to much smoke flavor(still very good tho!). The second attempt I cooked the meat and veggies with heavy smoke on the egg....Then just simmered everything on the stovetop in a large pan. I thought it was a lot better without the sauce being smoked. IMHO  
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    GrannyX4 said:
    Cook the chili in the oven instead of the stove top and it will be closer to the flavor of the egg.
    flavors do build up better with a slow simmer in the oven than stove top, stove top is more like a boiled meat product verse a slow oven braise, who wants boiled beef
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Spring...wth?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN