Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

XMass beef tenderloin????

Ummm, i want to try a Beef Tenderloin this Xmas instead of the Rib Eye Roast, i noticed one big difference between the meats was the $$$$.

I couldn't find any Tenderloin Recipes using the search engine? I've read online about Bacon wrapped Tenderloin's and Pepper Crusted Tenderloin's, whats your preferred method of grilling a Tenderloin?

Should i sear the meat 1st then remove it and put in the platesetter and lower the temp to 275-300 for and even cook?????

any help would be greatly appreciated, tks lou
·

Comments

• I'm planning to cook half of the 4.5 pound tenderloin I picked up from Costco on Wednesday night. I was thinking reverse sear wrapped in bacon. I'll let you know how it goes.
    Two Large Eggs - Located in Marietta, GA (East Cobb)
    ·
  • td66snrftd66snrf Posts: 774

Here's one I cooked a while ago. I tied the bacon on with string. I cooked it direct, no platesetter which help crisp up the bacon. Cooked at 275 pulled it off at 135. It was a crowd pleaser! Good luck with yours.

Tim

XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
    ·
  • See is link http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1146161/how-do-you-cook-a-chateaubriand-whole-tenderloin-on-an-egg#latest I am doing the same thing and think I am going to do a quick sear and then cook indirect until about 120 or so. Good luck.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
    ·
  • Tks guys for your responses!

brianbala = i got mine from Costco also and half now half later huh? i might just do that cut the ends and vacuum seal them and Q the center

td66snrf = i really like the bacon wrap that should keep it moist and its ready to go no sear right

BuckeyeBob = Tks for the link it was a big help!

i read this = Tenderloin, like other lean cuts of meat, are best roasted at a high heat rather than baked at lower temperatures. Flavor comes from the browning, not from fat slowly melting into the meat.

so would that be 375-400?

ok last thing everyone pulls at a different temp, 120-125-130-135 ?????

the temp will rise when the meat sits so rare will be med rare or med the longer it sits before cutting right?

Golden rule 115-120 and back in if they want med?

sorry for the questions i'm just getting my facts straight before i Q

·
  • tgklemantgkleman Posts: 206
    I just did one this weekend.  Worked out great.  I set my egg at 375 for indirect and made sure it was locked in ( i lit it about an hour before I was ready to cook).  I trimmed the fat and used butchers twine to tie up a Costco tenderloin to make at a uniform thickness.  Seasoned with S&P.  Seared on my weber gas grill and moved to my egg.  I pulled at 127F and let it rest (tented in HDAF).

Served with a choice of horse radish cream sauce or a mushroom ragout.  The meat turned out perfectly.  I used a probe to monitor the meat and we glad I did.  The temp rises pretty quickly toward the end, and I didn't want to overcook it.

Good luck!
    ·