Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XMass beef tenderloin????

Options
Ummm, i want to try a Beef Tenderloin this Xmas instead of the Rib Eye Roast, i noticed one big difference between the meats was the $$$$.

I couldn't find any Tenderloin Recipes using the search engine? I've read online about Bacon wrapped Tenderloin's and Pepper Crusted Tenderloin's, whats your preferred method of grilling a Tenderloin?

Should i sear the meat 1st then remove it and put in the platesetter and lower the temp to 275-300 for and even cook?????

any help would be greatly appreciated, tks lou

Comments

• brianbala
    Options
    I'm planning to cook half of the 4.5 pound tenderloin I picked up from Costco on Wednesday night. I was thinking reverse sear wrapped in bacon. I'll let you know how it goes.
    Two Large Eggs - Located in Marietta, GA (East Cobb)
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options

Here's one I cooked a while ago. I tied the bacon on with string. I cooked it direct, no platesetter which help crisp up the bacon. Cooked at 275 pulled it off at 135. It was a crowd pleaser! Good luck with yours.

Tim

XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • BuckeyeBob
    Options
    See is link http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1146161/how-do-you-cook-a-chateaubriand-whole-tenderloin-on-an-egg#latest I am doing the same thing and think I am going to do a quick sear and then cook indirect until about 120 or so. Good luck.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • wnbasac
    Options
    Tks guys for your responses!

brianbala = i got mine from Costco also and half now half later huh? i might just do that cut the ends and vacuum seal them and Q the center

td66snrf = i really like the bacon wrap that should keep it moist and its ready to go no sear right

BuckeyeBob = Tks for the link it was a big help!

i read this = Tenderloin, like other lean cuts of meat, are best roasted at a high heat rather than baked at lower temperatures. Flavor comes from the browning, not from fat slowly melting into the meat.

so would that be 375-400?

ok last thing everyone pulls at a different temp, 120-125-130-135 ?????

the temp will rise when the meat sits so rare will be med rare or med the longer it sits before cutting right?

Golden rule 115-120 and back in if they want med?

sorry for the questions i'm just getting my facts straight before i Q

• tgkleman
    tgkleman Posts: 216
    Options
    I just did one this weekend.  Worked out great.  I set my egg at 375 for indirect and made sure it was locked in ( i lit it about an hour before I was ready to cook).  I trimmed the fat and used butchers twine to tie up a Costco tenderloin to make at a uniform thickness.  Seasoned with S&P.  Seared on my weber gas grill and moved to my egg.  I pulled at 127F and let it rest (tented in HDAF).

Served with a choice of horse radish cream sauce or a mushroom ragout.  The meat turned out perfectly.  I used a probe to monitor the meat and we glad I did.  The temp rises pretty quickly toward the end, and I didn't want to overcook it.

Good luck!