Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need feedback (potential new Small owner)

So I have a buddy interested in buying a BGE. For multiple reasons he is looking at a small for his first. I told him would be great but pictures and responses from owners would help convince his SWMBO. So to the small owners I'd love pics of what you can cook on it, anything and everything. He lives in Auroa, CO so local prices and maybe even top notch dealers would be helpful. He is interested in both grilling and smoking. I'll be sending him link to this page. Thanks guys
Boom

Comments

• This one needs some good comments so I'll bump it. 

BUUUUUUMMMMMMPPPPPPPPPP
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Here's some pics of what you can cook on a Small...

Chicken
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Porterhouse Steak on a CI grid:

Tri-Tip:

Veggies:

Some CI cooking:

Pizza:

Pork Shoulder Butt:

Ham (9 lbs):

Packer Brisket (10 lbs before trimming):

Hope this helps them.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • R2Egg2Q
    I forgot to mention it'll hold a 4 QT lodge dutch oven or a 12" wok:

I love cooking on my Small but I can say the same for the Mini, Large, and XL!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Great pics!

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Cornerstone Ace Hardware in Aurora is a great dealer as is Lehrer Pool and Patio in Highlands Ranch.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I love my small but have to say get a large.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    My first Egg was a Small then Large and the a Mini. Sold the Small as I just didn't use it and bought another Mini. Now thinking of adding a second Large. Just did not use the Small.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• R2Egg2Q
    Your friend might consider a drive up to Mountain High Appliance in Louisville. They hosted the last CO Eggfest and I hear they did a great job.

Bay Area, CA
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    I use my small all the time, but it is a pain to get it over 500 degrees, even with a High-Que grate.  I'm not sure why it is so much easier to get a large or a mini up to high temp?  It has to be something to do with shape and airflow/vent sizes on the small.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Thanks for help everyone. Especially the pics @R2Egg2Q that is great looking stuff. If anyone else has any pics or feedback love to see and hear.
    Boom
  • go with med or lg!!!!
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • My dealer talked me into a medium and I'm glad. While most cooks are only for two, company does arrive and it was nice to be able to cook a turkey for Thanksgiving at my daughter's. Wrapping the needle on the thermometer is not hard nor are long low and slows at 250.
    It's only money-spend it!

Bob
    Cookin' on the coast
    Shellman Bluff, GA
    Medium BGE

• Appreciate everyone's feedback. I know his goal is down the road to buy a Large or XL but the good news is he got the permission needed from SWMBO and he is at the store now picking up his small. I think he will be making an account here soon. Lets try and get him to spend a lot of money on accessories!!
    Boom
  • R2Egg2Q
    That's great that he got the Green light on the Small. Congrats to him. It should do a great job showing the benefits of a BGE and pave the way for a big sibling.

Bay Area, CA
  • Adamd
    Adamd Posts: 160
    BOWHUNR said:
    I use my small all the time, but it is a pain to get it over 500 degrees, even with a High-Que grate.  I'm not sure why it is so much easier to get a large or a mini up to high temp?  It has to be something to do with shape and airflow/vent sizes on the small.

Mike
    I do agree that getting the small up to high temps can be hard to do, I still love my small. I have to think it has something with an airflow problem. The only thing I see that is different between the models is the size of course. The size = less air flow and less air means less heat. I can usually always get it over 500, but getting it to 600+ is hard to do and hard to keep it over that temp.

Really I could always use more space, but for me it was a close out and got a good deal and that's what I could afford and got the small. I usually just cook for myself and maybe one other and it is big enough for that and I am more then happy with it!

• Ellis
    Ellis Posts: 195

R2EggQ2 nice sales pitch, you need to open up a egg store you would make a killing. I would like to get a second egg some day and I'm thinking a small or med. This is such a great fourm and so much good info.

• R2Egg2Q
    LOL! Thanks @Ellis. I was just answering the call for pics of the Small in action to help show what fits in it. It helps that I usually take a lot of pics when I cook.

Bay Area, CA
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    A small Egg is great for a 2nd Egg. Large is ideal either for a 1st or later on after you get the small. Plan on owning multiples.
  • I first bought a large.  I loved it so much that when I saw a mini on CL that was only a few miles from my house I went to look at it and offered the guy $175.  He took it.  I sneaked home and just placed it on the patio letting it blend in with the plants. My wife just assumed that the large had a baby.  I still look at CL often.  I know I'll find a good deal on another one.  And yes, my wife thinks I'm crazy.
  • Where in Aurora are you? I'm down in Parker. Which dealer did you end up going to? Welcome to the Egg world...you've found the forum- there's no turning back now!!
  • @mighty_quinn someone needs to tell @xsunshinex one of the golden rules: pics or it didn't happen!
    Boom
  • true FOF....It can slide this time (1st timer), but if no pics next time I'm coming for his new small >:)
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    @R2EGG2Q...those are some great looking pics!  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Nice looking salmon xsunshinex!!

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• On the down side of a clean burn.  Started at 5pm temp up to 800.  Threw the pizza stone in dropped temp to about 550+ threw on another stone and  cooked a pizza.  It is now reading 600.  Never had a problem with the small going nuclear (have pegged the thermometer more than once).
    The plate setter is the only problem i have with the small....It kills the fire...never use it.
    We primarily cook on either the small or the mini 95% of the time.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • R2Egg2Q
    @xsunshinex - Congrats on getting the Egg and welcome to the forum! I'm glad that all worked out for you & your first cook turned out great.

Bay Area, CA
  • @mighty_quinn I'm at tower and Hamden. Near the town theatre where you can drink beer and enjoy a movie
  • @mighty_quinn I'm at tower and Hamden. Near the town theatre where you can drink beer and enjoy a movie
  • Pics or it didn't happen. Good to know! :)