Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Spatched Turkey!

And, can't wait!! 

I am readying to drop a 14# "pre-brined" spatch turkey for a raised direct cook on my LBGE that is settling-in around 375.  One of you good folks suggested throwing the fresh herbs directly onto the fire to smoke-infuse the flavor into the bird.  I'm going to give that a shot + one chunk of apple wood.   I also peeled-back the skin and put some laid some herbs directly on the breast (which I have been icing-down for about 30-minutes) and we'll let those hang-out throughout the cook.

So....I think I've covered all the bases. 

I'll circle-back with an update in a few hours!

Comments

• Nice, good luck with your bird!
    Edina, MN

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,082
    Sounds like a winner-just finish to temp-160*F in the breasts and 180*F+ in the thighs.  All good.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ....so, bird just came off the egg;  thighs are exactly 180 and the breasts and threatening 160 and under foil now resting-up.

Throwing the herbs directly on the coal was both good and bad;

The good news is the the aroma was crazy good (can't wait to taste the bird.)
    The bad news is the aroma was crazy good....the entire neighborhood smells great!!  And, that means I've had two neighbors come across the street to see what that's all about!!   
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Sounds great.  What herbs did you use?
  • I threw a handful of fresh rosemary, sage and thyme directly onto the coals - I laid it in a small pile in the middle of the coals.  I also placed one chunk of apple wood on top of the herbs...so, when the fire finished-off the herbs it started working on the apple wood.

The aroma was unbelievable....the whole backyard smelled like the house smells when we brew-up some brine!

I also pulled-back the skin and placed a few sprigs each of rosemary, sage and thyme onto the breast meat and then pulled the skin on top. 

We dropped the bird onto the grid at 375....the temp slipped a bit and held around 325 but at 90-minutes the thighs were right at 180 and the white meat was just a smidge below 160.  The skin was golden brown and crispy - and, that's coming from a guy who doesn't eat the skin!  We wrapped it in foil to let it rest for about 15-20 minutes. 

It was fantastic - moist as can be!   And, I'm really surprised at the flavoring throughout the meat....I'm sold on throwing the herbs onto the fire!

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,082
    Congrats-I will give the herbs to the fire gods a shot-never thought about that approach-that's the beauty of the forum!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Go bucks!
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    edited December 2012
    I threw a handful of fresh rosemary, sage and thyme directly onto the coals - I laid it in a small pile in the middle of the coals.  I also placed one chunk of apple wood on top of the herbs...so, when the fire finished-off the herbs it started working on the apple wood.

The aroma was unbelievable....the whole backyard smelled like the house smells when we brew-up some brine!

I also pulled-back the skin and placed a few sprigs each of rosemary, sage and thyme onto the breast meat and then pulled the skin on top. 

We dropped the bird onto the grid at 375....the temp slipped a bit and held around 325 but at 90-minutes the thighs were right at 180 and the white meat was just a smidge below 160.  The skin was golden brown and crispy - and, that's coming from a guy who doesn't eat the skin!  We wrapped it in foil to let it rest for about 15-20 minutes. 

It was fantastic - moist as can be!   And, I'm really surprised at the flavoring throughout the meat....I'm sold on throwing the herbs onto the fire!

Great. Add some parsley and you have a Garfunkle turkey. 

Class of '90, NDG...you?
  • Go Bucks!
    Clarendon Hills, IL