Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Christmas Day turkey smoking chips??

Options
I will be cooking a turkey on Christmas day. I wanted to see what wood chips people are using with turkey? Also do you cook it Vertical? What about just the breast any different?

Any recommendations would help

Comments

• MJQ8
    MJQ8 Posts: 43
    Options
    I used apple chips on Thnksgiving. I don't know if you plan to brine but I advise strongly considering it. I cooked horizontal.
    Any cook you can walk away from is a good one.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited December 2012
    Options
    NOT A LOT OF WOOD!
    I use a single handful of half cherry and half pecan chips. Used this combo for the last 6 years and works just fine. I am not in the brine club. I find it is fine w/o that extra work. I spatchcock at 400 raised direct and takes about 90 mins for the cook. Note the cherry gives it the real good color. And I use a coffee rub.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Andy_in_CO
    Options

I did the Thanksgiving turkey on the Egg breast side down on the grate with a drip pan underneath. I brined the turkey and used one apple wood chunk. Good smoke flavor, but not too much smoke. I have read that Cherry gives a great color to the skin.

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Spatch it and use pecan. Great color and flavor.
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    I just bought some peach gonna give it a test run with a bone in breast fruitwoods are great for turkey all the above are good suggestions.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Cherry or apple.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• jbates67
    jbates67 Posts: 168
    Options
    I used cherry over Thanksgiving and my bird turned out fantastic. Just don't over do the amount of chips, you can overpower the amount of smoke in a bird as opposed to pork or beef. I believe any fruit wood, apple, peach, etc would be good.
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Options
    I've used pecan and apple and they both produced great results. Going to try cherry next. Easy does it; only takes a small handful.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I just use the shells from the pecans I crack open for other uses. Usually, a double handful, but not much by weight.

The breast doesn't need to get as hot as the legs and wings. Try placing some bagged ice over the breasts before cooking.

Brining really does help. I use a "dry" brine to save 'fridge space. Just a rub of coarse salt 2 days in advance, and a massage a couple of times before cooking.
  • viamarco
    Options
    Vertical or in a horizontol rack?
  • Mickey
    Options
    Viamarco if you are asking me? Flat as it is spatchcocked. Also on spatchcock I never ice the breast. I have cooked3 to 4 each year for the past 6 years. This is one of the easiest cooks on your egg. I also like a coffee rub for the turkey.