Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Pizza Dough - Kitchen Aid Mixer

I have read many post concerning pizza dough recipes and get confused. I have a new KA mixer and wanting to make my own deep dish dough.

Any and all suggestions welcomed - thanks in advance.......

LBGE - Swing Grate - Platesetter - Pimaster110 - Pizza Stones - Maverick E732 - Thermapen - Dutch Ovens Abbeville, SC
·

Comments

• Do the initial mixing with the K paddle, while the dough is more like a batter, that is soupy. Once you are ready to add more flour, switch to the dough hook. 

I also keep an oil mister to spray onto the bowl sides as the dough starts to pull away, just makes it easier to work with. Be patient, deep dish dough is really sticky hard to work compared to regular pizza dough, IMHO. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 12,899
    edited December 2012
    I wish I liked deep dish pizza, there's been so much buzz about it lately.

·
  • what's not to like about deep dish pizza?
    ·
    Nuthin'.  I just like thinner, chewy crusts better.  Less is more.  It's all personal.  I cook a lot of them.

·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 10,514
    edited December 2012
    Nuthin'.  I just like thinner, chewy crusts better.  Less is more.  It's all personal.  I cook a lot of them.

You should get certified by Associazione Vera Pizza Napoletana.
    ·
  • Mauch5Mauch5 Posts: 33

I just made a deep dish two weeks ago.  I used the dough recipe shown below and my KA mixer.  I used the dough hook attachment.  It turned out great. 

http://www.biggreenegg.com/features/deep-dish-pizza/

·
    edited December 2012
    There's a joint in SA where my mom lives that is.  I'm going around the time I'm going to Salado.

·
    There is a place in DC(2Amys) that is as well. I try to swing by when I am in the neighborhood.
    ·
  • Nuthin'.  I just like thinner, chewy crusts better.  Less is more.  It's all personal.  I cook a lot of them.
    for me, I like the accomplishment of eating the whole damn thing, which I can do with a thin crust, 13" pizza done on my MBGE. I can only handle about 1/2 of a 12" deep dish done in CI skillet on the egg, I feel so inadequate....
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
    edited December 2012
    for me, I like the accomplishment of eating the whole damn thing, which I can do with a thin crust, 13" pizza done on my MBGE. I can only handle about 1/2 of a 12" deep dish done in CI skillet on the egg, I feel so inadequate....
    It's even worse with a Sicilian pie. After 4 pieces, I feel sick and emasculated.  :))
    ·
    Those whole pies gotta be at least 4000 calories - the worst kind.  Not that the pizza falls into the diet category in general, but it ain't a personal pie.

·
    Those whole pies gotta be at least 4000 calories - the worst kind.  Not that the pizza falls into the diet category in general, but it ain't a personal pie.
    I know. I would never eat a whole one. It's that subconscious feeling we all have to clean our plates.

(And some general humor) 
    ·
  • BotchBotch Posts: 2,965
    jackieb79 said:
    what's not to like about deep dish pizza?
    It's not pizza.  It's casserole.   :P

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
  • I am craving the Giordanno's Stuffed Pizza myself. It has been a while since I have been able to get back to the Chicago area. This is different from the Deep Dish in that it has two crusts. One on the bottom with all your desired contents and then another with slits and the sauce. They are so good. I am blessed with a Chicago Chain opening here in Springfield, Mo. called Rosati's so I can have my Chicago Style Pizza all the time. They will move into a bigger place in January or February and be a regular sit down restaurant which will be great.
    ·
  • XLBalcoXLBalco Posts: 562
    Rosati's has good pizza but it is not consistent from location to location i have noticed here in chicago.  hopefully you get a good one down there.  i do like their thin their thin crust and sausage.
    ·